Brown mottled marks on leaves - overnight after nutes increased

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

I’m running an ebb/flow rockwool setup in a stealth cab. These are just bag seeds which I decided to grow to test the system while I wait for proper seeds from ILGM (which I have since received).

I was thinking I would just start from scratch again once I got the new seeds but - the bag seeds seemed to be doing OK so thought I might complete the grow.

They are now early into their 5th week. I performed a resorvoir change yesterday and increased the nutes (a little less than as per direction on my A+B Nutes). CF was about 12 last week and I increased to 17.

Ive been keeping pH between 5.8 and 6.3. ( I find it usually creeps up every day so adjust it each morning).

Since my water/nute change yesterday - I have noticed some brown mottle markings on 2 of the plants. They happen to be the slightly stunted ones too … not sure if that is related.

I am not sure of the genetics of this bag seed - in fact - a last grow where I used them one turned hermies and seeded the entire cabinet. (Many lessons learnt :smiley: ). So wondering if I could ask a couple of questions:

1. Any idea what might be causing the leaf issues? (excesses/deficiencies?)
  2. Given I have seeds with known good genetics now - what is your opinion - should I scrap this grow and start again with good seeds, or continue with these? (Thought process was to learn as much as I can without killing good seeds - however – I also want to get a good harvest soon too! )

Some pics below. As always - thanks guys for any and all advice

@garrigan tagging in case you can shed some light too :smiley:

2 Likes

Thats a neat setup you have there! Are you only growing with the 2 part? I’m not a hydro grower, but based on your pics I would likely try doing a better job keeping the ph around 5.8 and add a little calmag to my nute solution.

2 Likes

Looks like you may have splashed some nutes on those lower leaves

1 Like

Looks like nute burn to me

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys. So - sounds like in that case - I might need to give them a flush and perhaps mellow my nutrient mix a bit. Plus I will start monitoring my pH twice a day.

And maybe look into sme Cal-Mag additives.

You gotta have cal-mag for hydro,make for happy plants

1 Like

I’ve run ebb and flow for about two years now and like you said the ph needs constant adjustments. I keep a log recording all info and check PPM’s and PH twice a day and adjust accordingly. I use General Hydroponics three part nutrients and I always add cal-mag throughout the veg and flower stages at recommended levels. Keeping the ph at 5.8 is most important and not going to high on nutes. Do you have a feeding schedule for your nutes.

1 Like

Ok cool - so seems that running a test grow of bag seeds was a good idea after all - I’ve already learnt so much - and best to make the mistakes with bag seeds. I’m off to grab some cal-mag and also going to tighten up my water-quality testing to twice a day.

Thanks heaps everyone! I hope one day I can repay the knowledge back to this forum :grinning:

Just a follow up guys - I took the advice - flushed my plants and and got some Cal-Mag additive. Ive also been religiously adjusting pH to exactly 5.8 morning and evening and keeping a log.

and … no new issues / leaf markings have arisen. In fact they are looking better (and BIGGER) than ever!!

This is the growth 4 days later … they’ve had a growth spurt!! :smiley:

THANK YOU again for all the help :slight_smile: