Brown area on the bud

I have a situation where where a couple of the buds on my plants are getting brown spots. One area I removed the brown and it pretty much crumbled and looked powery in the center. ANy advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

1 Like

Bud rot. Aka Botrytis. Loves humidity, cool temps and moisture. It will spread via spores. So wind, rain, touching, insects etc. will spread the spores. It does not need an entry point, it will creat it’s own.
It loves your fattest, densest colas.

I’ve battled it for the past 3 outdoor seasons. Once it’s there I’ve only managed to slow it down.
Green cure, potassium bicarbonate sprays, h2o2, barely put a dent in it.

There is a product I haven’t tried, but it doesn’t claim to eradicate bud rot, only manage it.

2 Likes

Crumbly & powdery are hallmarks of bud rot. Its mold and there’s no saving the affected buds. Best to carefully remove all offending areas, being careful so the spores don’t spread in air currents or from movement. Disinfect tools… Use a microbial spray and soapy water wash to cleanse plant. Keep grow area dry, with constant fan circulation. Shake plant after watering and make sure to turn it so that all sides get air from fan.
I own a large mold remediation company. Botritys is caused by high humidity. Keep it dry. Good luck

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. Should I cut it out? Or harvest those buds early? There isnt any amber in the trichomes yet.

1 Like

Cutting it out will more than likely spread spores. Leaving it will spread spores.
In the past I’ve worn gloves, carefully cut the rot out, sprayed straight 3% peroxide on the area of infection as well as surround area, then disposed of rotted bud, gloves, and alcohol soaked the scissors.

The best thing to do would be to place the plant in a warmish (76-80f) room with an rh around 35%-40%. But this would contaminate any plants in that area.

1 Like

I’m growing outside. Moving them in is not an option. I cut the bud about an inch below the rot and tossed it. I will see if I have peroxide to spray on the plant. thank you for this information.

1 Like

Anytime.
Good luck.

I’d plan to harvest a bit earlier than expected.
Keep a close eye on things and check your plant at least daily.

1 Like

you can carefully cover the bud in plastic and cut it off / dispose of it. The plant needs air movement and dryness, do NOT get water on the plant. Air movement is the key.

2 Likes

Air movement spreads the spores. Like, literally blasts them everywhere.

2 Likes

Yes so the contamination needs to be removed first. Then the environment needs to be hostile to the organism
Outdoors this is very hard to achieve, it is all but impossible to control humidity and air movement beyond using fans.
I normally consider any strain that is prone to bud rot here worthless to grow, because our season here toward the end of fall is wet and cold.

3 Likes