Broken hlg 65 power connector

Hello, so I was unplugging my hlg 65 and the connection piece unconnected to the board. The little black piece is no longer flush to the board and so it’s not working anymore unless I hold it down. So how might I fix this ? You probably know the answer to this @dbrn32 so thanks in advance.

3 Likes

That sucks. One of my board wire connectors doesn’t hold the wire 100% had to fold the wire over and wedge it in it. Different from what you got going there tho.

2 Likes

Looks like you need to re solder the connection.

A butane soldering iron with extra fine tip would be the call.

These small cell phone repair shops can do fine solder work if you are not up to it.

7 Likes

Thanks @AAA

1 Like

@Noctis420 if you can ship it to me I can fix it for you I solder electronics at work all day smaller than this I could fix it for you. Or I’m sure HLG would too as well

1 Like

I think AAA hit the nail on the head, take it to a cell phone or electronics repair shop.

It will be cheaper and less stressful than buying the tools yourself, I’m all for buying tools and ding things myself but how often are you going to use it and if you do mess up on you QB then you’ll be kicking yourself

3 Likes

Check to see if the solder joint is broken or the solder pad is disconnected from the board. Sounds like it can be soldered, but if that pad broke away from board, maybe not.

Does your board have another connector on the side, or molex connectors?

1 Like

Yes it does have another connection on the other side and so the board it’s still working fine if I use that plug. Is it still safe to run it like this though? If I hold it down it still turns on the light. It does look like it came off the pad? Hopefully these pics help.

1 Like

No harm in running that way if using the other connector. But also looks like could be fixed with soldering iron.

5 Likes

Could the OP just remove the unit to simplify soldering? He could mount it to a wall and solder wire to connect? If he wanted to go a tad further he could solder plugs at the fixture? Doesnt look very well constructed to just yank the unit off like that?

2 Likes

Yeah, here’s the detached solder joint.

2 Likes

So I can solder that back on? @BobbyDigital

1 Like

If there is metal on the board side, yes you can solder back on.

3 Likes

Hey @dbrn32 what are your thoughts on the Horticulture Lighting Group - HLG 550 V2 Rspec LED Grow Light? I’m thinking about buying this for my 4x4. The coverage looks perfect.

Coverage Area:
Flower: 4.5’ x 4.5’ or 4’ x 5’
Veg: 6’ x 6’

Tired of hanging multiple lights will this solve my problems lol

1 Like

Its a nice light for sure. If it were me, I would probably save a little cash and go with the two 260 xl kits. It doesn’t solve your multiple light issue, but it would be about $300 cheaper and give you a little more even light intensity.

If you still prefer going with the hlg-550 maybe wait until black Friday. I feel like there’s been a deal on the 550 every year. 20% and free shipping maybe?

1 Like

Great advice! Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Seems like a tough time to get any hlg lights they are all sold out.

Where did you check? The hlg website is slow updating sometimes, did you try growerslights?

1 Like

Yeah growers lights is wiped out. I don’t want to assemble anything so I guess I’ll just wait until they are back in stock. @dbrn32

1 Like