Bright white vs Yellowish

Ok so I have 4 lights. They are the same models and were ordered from the same place on Amazon. They are not bad lights and have done me well. However I have noticed that 2 of these lights are very bright white LED’s and the other 2 are a softer or more yellow lights. I currently have one of each in the same tent and am monitoring the girls. So far it appears that the softer lights are a better veg light as I see fatter more robust plants under it and the other side seem to be “behind “ where they should be. These plants are not all the same as they are bag seeds and more than likely are all different. But it’s still funny that both of those girls are 4 inches shorter and the stems are way less than half in diameter. I will also say that early on I had to raise the brighter light due to it starting to burn the tips of the leaves.

My hypothesis is that the softer light is going to veg better while the brighter ones will flower better.

I was hoping to get some verification as to if I am in the correct track because I have 5 AK-47 girls that will be going into veg very soon and I want to do as much help as I can them.

Thank you in advance for all of the advice. It’s all greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Actually it’s quite the opposite. The soft white is probably more heavy with red light…which promotes bud growth and longer stems.

Whereas the more white, or crisp light is more blue leaning which promotes better plant mass like foliage and will create plants that are shorter with tighter nodes.

2 Likes

I have 3500 color temp lights that are very white in appearance and 3000 color temp lights that have a more orange hue.

The 3500’s were meant to be all purpose for vegging and flower and the 3000’s I bought specifically to add when flowering.

Sounds like you got different color temps too… accidentally? Your device should be marked with the color temp. Pretty sure mine are, but it’s obvious to me which is which based on the light hues.

1 Like

Yes all 4 lights are the same model but one has a more yellow hue to it. I didn’t intend on it. However I’m still running it and observing it’s performance. I’m about to need more lights as my space has tripled in size so I’m currently running 2 4x4 spaces with another one empty. To be quiet honest I think I still need more lights on the two current tents. I have enough to fill 1 4x4 properly but I got a 4x8 for Christmas with one light and it says it has a flower footprint of 4x2 so I took one light that will cover a 2x2 area perfectly and moved it over. So I definitely need more light however I’m burning up money trying to get my lab up and running properly as to not let the girls suffer in the heat or cold. I got all the electric ran and working today so goodbye extension cords :crazy_face:. Now to finish insulation and wrap up the room and I will be holding off on the sheet rock and flooring for maybe another month.

Thank you for the advice I can always use as much of that as I can get

I have mad 2 mars hydro one was dimmer and was definitely growing weaker bud underneath, send a msg to the seller send me another one now I have 3 good mars hydro ts600and a ts600 for seedling since it’s has a dead lead

1 Like

I’m gonna have to try that. I’m 1.5 weeks from shutting down the 4x4 and I will be transferring my equipment over to the 4x8. Which will give me a 6 inch exhaust a 4 inch intake along with an extra fan. The lights will all be moved as well which should be about perfect since at that point I will have the 4x8 starting the 4th week of flower so I really want to see what I can produce by doubling the lights for the last month of flower.

I really need to get more lights but first I need to finish my garden room out. I have it 98% insulated but still need to add plastic sheeting install room exhaust and intake as well as finishing the drywall’s and the flooring.

I have ac and heat for the room but I’m currently running it thru the tents because I still have enough air leaks to keep the room from running as efficiently as possible.

LEDs dimming is what it sounds like. Can be caused by a singular bad diode or the driver. But with the way LEDs work. As their name says, diode, one bad early in the line will effect each one after.

1 Like

Diodes were originally used to ensure electricity could only follow one direct path, or circuit. It couldn’t double back on itself like your house electric. These are just ones that emit light.

1 Like

That would explain it

I concur with the Kid. In the past when we used HID the veg lights were Metal Halide (white and blue), and the flower lamps were enhyanced red spectrum.

Same with LED lamps. It appears you bought 2 of each.

On the other hand; My friends at Spectrum King and mnos thighly respected growers in North America swear by full spectrum whites for the entire grow.

Have fun and good luck in your grows.

1 Like

Thank you @latewood i really appreciate your feedback. I have sense upgraded my lighting due to failure to maintain a temperature under 90 without utilizing a spot cooler. Now my temperatures don’t go over 84 without the use of the spot cooler. This is coming up on the end of my fourth grow and everyone here has taught me so much!!!

1 Like

I am really glad to hear you have osmewhat figured it out. Ventilaiton is key. I bought a portable roll around AC to battle high temps here in the south.

Here is another good idea. I am not sure of your budget, but do you what a temperTUR METER IS? tHE SAME DEVICE EVERYONES POINTS AT YOUR HEAD GOING INTO A HOSPITAL OT MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE A TEMPERature. (Damn…Sorry baout “caps”)

Anway a digital temperature reader allows you to read the surface temps of your leaves. “LST” Leaf Surface Temperature. That is a more accurate way to keep your temps in check. If the leaf surface is in the proper temp range, you are good ot go. Good luck. always around if you need me. Peace

1 Like