Breeding "taste" into strains

Blueberry strawberry orange banana mango …the list goes on. How are these “flavors” bred into their respective strains?
Or is it the meer power of suggestion of a name that bilks people into agreement that this tastes like what you call it. Any input anyone? Just curious, would love to hear from a strain developer on this. Coming up with a new strain name must be a pain.

3 Likes

You really need to do more investigation on this… :grin:

:v::sunglasses:

I’ve tried and tried. Over 43 years experience !
All I can say is "oooh,that tastes like GOOD weed.
Smoked Bubblegum and it DID taste sorta fruity. I wouldn’t say Bubblegum fruity though.

I’ve used pineapple and grapefruit juice at 25% to 1 gallon of water to flush with… to add concentrates and add flavor in the last 2 weeks of flowering as a flush with great results… :wink:

2 Likes

Like the emperors new clothes with weed huh?

Maybe. But some strains really smell like their names. It’s crazy

Everything I’ve read about adding sugar based stuff to plants during flower insists it doesn’t impart a sweeter flavor, but instead the sugar feeds the microbes which in turn help the plants thrive, which makes for better buds.

It would be nice to just add some juice to make your plants taste juicier.

3 Likes

Names mostly reflect the prevailing trends at the time of release.
Example: Indian names were popular. Then the Star Wars --Star Trek phase had space names.
Currently it appears to be the Fruit phase.

Alls I can say is try it and see for yourself… I would call bs also… but I’ve done it first hand… it did work… go figure… :wink:

1 Like

I don’t mean to interrupt but I have a quick question. When you add the pineapple or grapefruit juice at 25% do you pH the water? I just wanted to make sure. I’m considered trying this during my next Harvest w one of my plants. Thanks for the interesting post and the interesting information everyone. Have a good morning

1 Like

No I did not ph the water… 100% pineapple juice worked the best… one 16 oz can to a gallon of water… that was it… :wink:

2 Likes

Im gonna try this here inna few days. :smiley:. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

@SeenDog @peachfuzz
Thank you very much for the clarification. I’m going to try that. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

As a creature from the '70s when certain varieties carried their weight in flavor my fave was Maui Wowie…sweet Jesus tasted just like pineapple naturally. Currently in a grow with MW and is in wk1 Flower…hope it holds true to its name

1 Like

@SeenDog, did you get a chance to try it out?

Sorry my friend. Honestly i forgot and chopped. But i have made a note to do it to my next girl. (Should be 6weeks) :smiley: