Breeding help...I’m lost

Fantastic read.

1 Like

Ok that makes sense. Now I see how you’d be reinforcing Z by breeding back to W

2 Likes

It’s the strongest plant I have grown to date… want to keep it going. I’m sending my top 4 plants to get lab tested and keep the top plant

1 Like

You would just keep breeding in the lineage of z until you find that Golden Nugget, that princess. That’s where pheno hunting comes into play. You can keep back crossing further down the line. There’s also risk in to much backcrossing. You can start isolating poor qualities and trates as well.

1 Like

Okay good to know

1 Like

Some “wrong turn” type stuff. So would it be best to grow multiple of X&Y to pick your pheno. Then grow multiple Z’s to make the W. So on and so forth so you get the traits you desire?

1 Like

Yes that’s pheno hunting. You grow multiple female and male plants and choose best ones.

There’s people that have put 10 years into finding there perfect version of a crossbreeding.

I guess what I’m not really grasping is the pheno of the males. If your desired end is sensi what pheno traits would you look for in a male to make it desirable to breed with?

1 Like

It’s physical traits. How it looks and grows, leaf size, trunk and node size. Height bushy or not bushy etc

Ok I got you. Like show dogs. Whatever the healthiest looking male is. So it would all be a pollenated seed to clone thing. Colloidal silver wouldn’t be necessary until you had your desired strain.

1 Like

Damn howd i miss this entire convo?!?! @TXCanna was on it tho bro.

Say u LOVE diesel. U planted 10 and got 10 females. Varying potency but all BEAUTIFUL sticky albiet medium yielding buds. #4 happens to smell like straight :fuelpump: And threw some wicked shades of purple and orange . U smoke em and she has the strongest buzz. So of course u keep her clones and toss the rest.

That same grow u had some Bid Buds (high yielding n and FAST growing) that all uniformly did as advertised. In that pile of seeds, an errant male slips thru. U decide to cross D4 x BB, and get 30 seeds.

Plant 20 of them and find your ‘Princess’. U want :fuelpump: flavord, colorful, bid buds of THC filld love. When u find her, u cross her with a brother OR father. Since ur tryna stabilize ur D4xBB, itd be MUCH better to use a bro. That way u KNOW the seeds will lean more D4 then BB… mainly ur tryna isolate the BB genes that made the buds bigger. Takes a quite a bit of seed dropping and cloning.

Pause: im at work and rereading my typing this :poop: makes my head hurt :joy::joy: think ill retype it in a bit

3 Likes

Breeding that princess with her brother that Purp is talking about is going to make your F1 generation. That’s the vigor generation. That where you want to find your female to clone and keep as a mother plant. Purp has gotten you down to your F1. We just went further last night.

2 Likes

Yea i was realizing i was regurgitating. Was tryna put the reasoning in it and just said F it :joy::joy:

2 Likes

So now you can see where truly serious breeders take years and years to find the perfect genes. They would take 20 females in a batch of F1 seeds. Grow them all clone them all. Smoke them all and then go back and find the best one. Best color, best growth, best taste keep the clone from the plant it came from and either just flower out the rest or trash em.

2 Likes

Trying to make deliveries with one hand and drop knowledge with the other.

1 Like

U should see me over here! All while i talk football with two people and hurricanes with another group!

I think I understand and I’m in no way going to try breeding for at least a year. So I’ve got time to figure out how exactly I’m going to f it all up lol

2 Likes

The hardest part hands down will be the labeling! Lavels labels labels! And pollen control. Dontwant to pollenate with the wrong batch

Haha. Remember you don’t have to veg them out for normal time either. You can let them go 3-4 weeks and flip em. Just big enough to get a good like at all of them. Structure characteristics and so on.