Breaking up clumps when curing

So I dried my little harvest for 10 days. They’ve been curing for 4 now. I burp them twice a day and the smell is like dark candy. The buds seemed to be stuck together when I picked the jars up. Not wanting to shake the jars, I tried to carefully roll the jars in my hands to break up the clumping. This evening I poured each jar out, onto a paper plate to break them up and place them back into their jars. The rH is 55 so I don’t think they are too damp.
Is 55 a good level to keep them? Should I put ina humidity pack?

Thanks!

1 Like

2 Likes

How often did you have to clean or replace your scissors while trimming? With the humidity at 55% it sounds like you have a very resinous strain. Another indication is if you had to replace your gloves because everything sticks to them.
I belief the consensus around here is not to use humidity packs during cure. The argument being it alters the flavor unfavorably. To restore humidity throw a fresh fan leaf in the jar.

3 Likes

I cleaned my scissors twice and I didn’t have gloves and I ended up rolling byself a little ball of resin at the end of the trim. Even after 10 days of drying at 65-75 degrees with a rh of 50-60, the stems didn’t snap when I bent them.
Thank you for the curing chart. I was looking for something like that.
And I do have some fan leaves ready. I’ll add them to the jars when the light come back on in the grow room.

Even better.
The cure chart was provided by @Konflict

1 Like

When I’m curing I’ll shake the jars a bit loosening them up before removing lid to exchange gases / air. I use the 62% humidity packs once cured but if needed if they are low would put one in there anyway. I haven’t noticed any changes in aroma using them. If your using those mini 1x2 hygrometers in jars to know RH they can be inaccurate and may put a second one in a jar to see.
You can also burp less often…maybe wait a day or so and see how the RH goes. As long as your not smelling hay/grass and they have a Mmm smell it won’t hurt and may help…I think anyway…could be wrong but that’s what I would do.
If mine are jarred and RH is say 70 I’ll just leave lids off for many hours or overnight and big thick dense buds do hold their moisture pretty well where smaller ones not as much. When jarring I’ll have various sizes in the same jar to even things out as popcorn buds dry quicker than big colas.
They’ll be fine because your on top of it.

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten any hay or grass. It smells sweet and piney.

This morning the rh has gone up in both jars.
I think the jars may have been too full and the buds compressed a little bit and trapped some moisture?
The jar with the smaller buds is at a lower rh. I’ll remember to put some fan leaves in if the level drops though.
I appreciate your help.

2 Likes

I jam 50 grams of flower in a quart mason jar when I jar them up and the flower is pretty tight. Flower does stick together but I just tease it apart and move on. I do use Boveda 62 packs.

This is a bit if misinformation that we’ve all dealt with. Your stems after drying should not ‘snap’ so much as start to break. Stems will snap after cure though.

@Not2SureYet uses a handheld blacklight to monitor moisture in drying flower and it works surprisingly well. The wet plant material glows purple and when that goes away he can proceed with the jar.

2 Likes

I think there’s a lot of loose ends using terms like snap and crack. I’m sure I’m guilty of using both lol. I always grab smallest stems and make sure they aren’t pliable.

3 Likes

Thank you! I like the term pliable a bit better. I might have been able to go from drying to curing a few days earlier. I don’t think there is any harm done.

1 Like

I think that when I start the cure to also keep some of the smaller buds on their sticks when I place them in their jars. Does that really assist for a slower, and more uniform, drop to the desired humidity level?

I feel like you are better off going to jars a little early than a little late. Especially if you have tools to monitor rh. When moisture in buds starts to equalize you can see it elevate and dump jar to dry out a little if need be. But it’s a lot more difficult to put moisture back in.

3 Likes

I dry till I can break off the buds from the stems, ten days for my dryer. Into big flat tuperwear “Makes it EZ to exchange air inside” for about two weeks. Then into jars with Boveda’s burping every time I remember.

1 Like

Well I’ve got a tester for bridge models. I can start testing the tensile strength before a proper snap crackle and pop occurs. Lol.

1 Like

I like the idea of using a big, flat container… is static electricity ever an issue with the dried goodies that fall off while drying or handling the flowers? Does it stick? Is it easier than glass?

I will certainly remember that. That’s the same with cigars. Yes, it is possible to rehydrate a cigar. But it doesn’t always work. And there’s often a chance that you may lose some of the characteristics you appreciate about that smoke.

2 Likes

Seems like they both get dirty at the rate. I like theses “there not airtight and let the pot finish drying”