Brand new shiny grow... from go

Starting seeds:

Do I start 3 or 4 seeds?

48 X 48 X 78/tent, using 3 gallon pots

I’m planning on topping them once and switching them around 20 inches

I’m thinking four plants…

Opinions?

I’d go with four personally :thinking:

Lol! I guess great minds really do think alike!?

I just started 4 Northern Lights seeds about 5 minutes ago! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Note to journal:

My particular tap water is 7.5, adjusted it to 6.3 to start the seeds

(starting seeds in the dark, in between wet paper towels, in a little bowl)

temp 78

rh 80

1 Like

Note to journal:

While getting stuff from my old grow down from my attic today I got a possible inspiration…!?

Do I see a scrog in my future…!?

1 Like

You could also use them for grates under you pots.
So then you can place a catch for excess water runoff.
Let us know what you end up doing with them :v:

I think they’d be perfect! …a couple of strands of hemp to finish the cross-sections, probably tie wrap them together and build a little wooden frame with my chop saw!

I think that’s a little ambitious for my first grow in over 20 years though!

I have a few big plastic milk crate-like things I’m going to use to get the plants up off the floor, I am going wash them up this weekend (they’re outside).

1 Like

Don’t stress to hard about the humidity. I vegged mine in 40-55% RH and flowered in 35% starting 20-25% these last two weeks. They all turned out fine :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Great! I see so many people with lights on bare soil after they have started…unless they are for warmth, totally not necessary.

Edit: my mistake, I read more, still in towels…doh…tho they don’t need lights till they pop thru the soil.

Note to journal:

My ilgm seeds didn’t make it yet, but these northern lights by vision seeds from Herbies head shop did…

These are some of the smallest seeds I’ve ever seen in my life! If I had done a seed crop I very likely would have put these seeds aside if not thrown them out… :frowning:

Only time will tell…

Update: at 78 degrees with an average humidity of 70% 3 seeds have cracked in 22 hours!

Transplanted to rapid rooters, continuing in the humidity dome on the propagation mat at 78 degrees

The seeds are small but seem fresh

1 Like

Here is a chart on humidity and a quick note.

Young plants (seedling to end of vegetative stage)

Optimal Humidity is 40-70% RH

40-70% Relative Humidity is ideal for vegetative cannabis plants - This pictures shows a humidity monitor (called a hygrometer) in the correct rangeYoung cannabis plants in the vegetative stage grow a lot of leaf mass in a great growing environment, and plants can sometimes grow foliage at a faster pace than the roots.
But the roots aren’t the only way your plant gets water. Leaves can actually pull water vapor directly out of the air, and higher humidity in the air allows the leaves to get more water to the plant if needed. Until your plant has fully developed roots, higher levels of humidity in the air will tend to promote faster growth.
That’s why younger plants tend to grow better with high relative humidity, especially in a comfortably warm environment that mimics springtime or summer.
Warning Signs:
The RH is too high if the plants are forming wet spots on their leaves
If the RH drops below 25%, the dry air will tend to limit growth and cause nutrient problems to appear on leaves, especially for young seedlings.

Hope this helps ya out and good luck with your grow.

Will

Thanks Will, appreciate the input!

On a side note I couldn’t help peeking into my rapid rooters, I saw one definite taproot and all four were cracked and their roots were already heading down, it’s finally starting to be fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to see your still on the hurry up and wait on those seeds …they’ll get their …But iam glad to here that you got some beans to work with.:wink: ijust got done gathering up all my stocks from their rabbit holes . and fount that id actually had a total of 32 separate varieties … and one of them, the seeds are 1/2 the size of average . but still fully mature . i should have looked in the closet sooner lol. ps quit peeking you could accidently hurt them .

1 Like

I’m glad you said that @Hammer , I’ve never used rapid rooters before and the holes in the top are pretty big, and I could see right down in them so I broke a little bit off the side and gently and very loosely put it in the top to cover, like a little plug…

I didn’t know what else to do, but it didn’t seem right to be able to look right in and see the seeds.

Does anybody else do that with rapid rooters?

-thanks

Note to journal

As I said in above, I have never tried to sprout seeds this small

I’m becoming concerned after three days in water (2 days in rapid rooters), I’m trying to stay positive :-/

I don’t know what possessed me to start four seeds and assume I’d have four plants! I always started at least double the amount I was going to use

I have one tiny NL, one normal sized fem OG Kush and two regular Afghan fem, the latter three they sent me for free. Rather than free I would have rather had high quality, viable northern lights that I paid for from Herbies head shop via Vision seeds.

As clones are not currently available in my area I’m giving the four Northern Lights seeds till noon Monday and then I’m going to start the rest of what I have :frowning:

should have several orders coming in presently as I’ve made several small orders to quite a few different countries and companies.

Edit: if I may take off my beginners hat for a moment I’m not saying these seeds aren’t viable, that remains to be seen …but I personally would not even have saved seeds this small if I had grown the seed crop, and I have grown many seed-crops and started many seeds

This remaining Northern Lights seed (center)was not the smallest of the bunch

I’m thinking I’m going to start it too, wth

Were these seeds not so small I would cast a suspicious eye towards the rapid rooters, however they seem very popular and my grow store guy couldn’t say enough good things about them, so… (drama) :worried:

1 Like

Good idea ,that’s what ive done in the past when using them.

I soaked some in a glass of water overnight, planted when I woke up the next day, and about a half day after that, they sprouted. I’d guess in a 36hr period total. The others I just put in those pucks and it took them a week to sprout, and some still haven’t after the 3rd week.

just in case i wasn’t Clear …small doesn’t Mean that their not viable … are they firm? are they white . do they have a mature looking shell?? some varieties just produce small seed … stop worrying .lol lol .when using rooter plugs… flush squeeze and flush and squeeze. with ph,ed water .these things are like a SPONGE they will hold to much water… once flushed .squeeze out excess water .place SPROUTED SEED into the rooter, cover THE SEED ,WITH SOME OF THE ROOTER MATERIAL , water with eye dropper or similar to keep from over watering . START your seeds in paper towels . soak them then , wring them out ,place seeds under the top one or two towels, cover with saran wrap , place these in a warm 78-80 F dark place .in 2-5 days you should have spouts . when legs are 1/4’’ long trans plant very carefully into plugs … if you waited to long and your sprouts are long 1-1 1/2 long … then cut the rooter almost in half place in , then close , then place a small rubber band around it to hold closed …NOT TO TITE of a band … ps if you tilt you your sprout container at steep angle and water runs off THE PAPER TOWELS ARE TO WET … highly damp is all you want … PSS. the seeds your showing arnt small the one,s i have are half the size of the ones you showing lol and if memory servs me they are heavy duty fruity. and they are monster plants … i once did a small experiment with bag seeds i had all mixed up… i picked the very biggest and the smallest seeds to germinate . the big one’s 3each one was weak female the others were hermies rite off… the itty bitty seeds turned out all female .and most were decent bud … Food for thought …

The one in the center, the Northern Lights are tiny. Had I grown a seed crop, I would have thrown them right out