Bow4Buck's 1st Ever Grow Outdoors

I have sweet peppers next to habaneros and I haven’t seen any difference in the sweet peppers.

1 Like

@CoyoteCody, makes sense. I was asking based on the above.

I wonder if these are heirloom or a hybrid, because there are spicy bells. @Bow4Buck are these from the store or harvested from an old crop or even from store bought peppers?

I also wonder if the sweets being a thin fleshed pepper, means it wouldn’t absorb anything, and the bells being more fleshy would, if thats how it works :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

@AAA @CoyoteCody In my case I grew them to close. Pretty sure some peppers sweet or in this case my green bell peppers cross pollinate. Honestly thats a guess. I have grown peppers before and had hot when they shouldn’t be. Only thing i figured was they were planted to close to the hot ones. When I keep them separate, never had this issue.
This season I intended to plant in the greenhouse so I grew all hybrids. But I think they just cross pollinate. Dont think it has anything to do with thick or thin flesh. First time I had it happen was with sweet banana peppers. Next row was jalapeno and mt banana peppers were hot as he!!

yep, I got the infuzium 420. So far it is awesome. Takes a lot of work out of the equation.

1 Like

Still out of likes but this is what i found.

1 Like

hmmm, that’s kinda strange because I buy fresh seed every year. I have never kept seed from any veggies to replant the next year. I do grow a fair amount of heirlooms but usually busy with harvest and sales to take time picking and drying seeds.
However one could say the seed company may of had the issues while growing then passed the seeds on to me. I grew tomatoes this year that I didn’t order. Guess that could be the problem, crossed and then the seed company just sells you the seeds.

3 Likes

Definitely worth some experimenting!! I might try growing just hot and sweet peppers next year next to each other and see if the ones closest together are any different than the ones further away from each other.

I bought some tomato plants at the green market, sold to me as “beefsteak” but the fruit was more like cherry tomatoes. I figured the guy must have had an unintentional cross.
Cody I got all my peppers together. I guess ill see in the next crop if i got crosses!

2 Likes

Yeah, I grew all mine from seed. 4 heirloom cherries and 4 heirloom beefsteak. Had 2 plants grew with some pear shaped red cherry i didn’t order and also had 1 plant that grew a smaller red tomato kinda like a Roma.

2 Likes

I figured that was the scientific explanation, just like crossing weed.

I do believe there is the “terroir” phenomenon which not only includes the soil and climate but also the companion crops, just didn’t think it would be that substantial!

Interesting stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had some super hot bell peppers. Its amazing how they can effect each other.

1 Like