Boveda packs... real life experiences

I’m somewhat skeptical about boveda packs, but I know a lot of people use them. They’re on sale right now at woot. It’s an amazon company so I’m assuming a link is ok.
woot offers/boveda-humidity-control-10-pack

edit: removed link

4 Likes

Great deal! I paid nearly double that for the same pack, a while back.

1 Like

Try dank packs much better

I’ve heard they suck all the smell and taste out🤔 but haven’t used myself I’m curious if I need them because I’m just a few weeks away

If used to cure, I could see. Using after cure, not a problem at all.

4 Likes

I’ve ordered new packs. I’m going to try them fresh in fully cured weed, per the advice of boveda.

1 Like

I’m using the 62% Boveda packs right now. They don’t seem to affect the smell or taste when used properly, as @BobbyDigital pointed out. I feel the main issue is that people are putting the packs into their curing jars/containers too soon. I dry for at least a week, then cure for roughly three weeks (or until my jar humidity is pretty stable) before adding the 62% packs. Even after that, I occasionally burp the jars to further the cure.

I literally just paid double for these yesterday lol

Boveda used to have a section on their site about curing your weed with their packs. They literally told consumers that adding a boveda pack during cure was the best way to keep the rh stable; since the packs would adjust rh of the buds up or down.

I just went back to find that section, and It’s no longer there. Apparently they must’ve had too many people complaining about their packs retaining and spreading “off” smells. If you search you’ll find many references with people complaining.

This is the new recommendation. It’s not as direct.

1 Like

@Drinkslinger Thanks for the info on that. I haven’t used them for very long, but after two or three weeks of curing, I’ve had no issues tossing them in. I feel if you put them in the jars too early, then the outside of the bud gets rehydrated too quickly. The middle section of the bud is supposed to be slowly pushing moisture outward to even out the moisture content of the entire bud. I feel it kinda messes things up by tossing a pack in right after drying. I mean, in a professional grow op drying room, you would never hang wet material next to material that has already been drying for 6 days. I feel this should be the same for curing. I wouldn’t add anything to my jars until the buds had naturally cured for at least two weeks. That’s just my method, and I’m certain it is far from perfect. However, I’m happy with my results. The packs might alter the taste and smell ever so slightly, but it’s nice keeping my smoke between 58%-62% humidity for extended periods of time.

2 Likes

I started using boveda packs last year. At first I only put them into fully cured bud jars. Yes, they did a good job at keeping rh perfect.
Then I read bovedas recommendation to add the packs during cure. The jars curing with the packs on them began to take on an off, sour smell. It did not disappear with time or burping.
I did some research and turned up others complaining about the same thing.
I contacted boveda. We had several back and forth emails. They had me weigh the packs, (which were all over 9 grams). Ultimately boveda admitted their outer wrapper must have absorbed smells from the curing process, and recommended I buy new packs. All of this wouldn’t be a big deal, except THEY recommended using their product for cure, and THEY repeatedly stated on their site that the packs wouldn’t change flavors or smells. Their solution was for me to buy more of their product? :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

I’m glad they’ve changed their wording and seem to no longer recommend the packs for cure. I’ve purchased more (begrudgingly) and will test them again on fully cured buds. Hopefully they don’t ruin half a pound of weed this time.

2 Likes

Hey did u guys ever try dank packs they work great

1 Like

That’s where I’m at. I’m glad you posted this, because I was gonna toss them in early on my recent harvest. Not now! Thanks for sharing. I can’t afford to ruin that much dank!

@Kwazzy Yeah I’ve heard of them. I may try something more geared for pot next time, because while bovedas work, they were originally created for cigars.

1 Like

Let me tell you the story about that time I decided it’d be a good idea to store my weed in my humidor…

(It was a long time ago).

1 Like

Yeah…I’ve done similar things. Ah, hindsight.

1 Like

Great info on this thread! Thanks fam :+1:t2::grimacing:

2 Likes

No problem. It’s only my opinion though, and other methods may also work well. :v:

1 Like

It makes sense to me to use them AFTER the initial cure, but then you read other info and start second guessing.

1 Like

I have a friend that uses them immediately, and his stuff is fine. I just feel they add a slight sour flavor when used immediately after drying. Try doing both ways, then you can experiment for yourself.

They leave a weird odor and I’ll never use them again. They do not perform anywhere close to how bevoda packs do.

1 Like