Boveda packs not working, help!

Normally you wouldn’t use a Boveda pack during cure, but it can be used to rehydrate in a pinch. The problem is, it will do it very slowly. In your particular case it may take close to a week.
I have tried lots of other methods, like orange peels and a wet piece of bread. Bread actually works a little too well, as it just exudes moisture like crazy (too fast).
Not that you have to do it this way, but I thought I would share the method I eventually settled on. It works very well and at a speed (about 1-2% humidity every 6 hours) I feel comfortable with.
I simply place a couple of shot glasses or wine glasses in a plastic container and put water in them. I put the bud and a hygrometer in the container. Then, I put a sealed lid on it and put it in a dark place, then check it every 6-12 hours, depending on how far it still needs to go.

The absorption rate seems to be just right with this method. When the hygrometer reads the percentage I want, I put the bud back in the jar, check it the next day and it is still at the same percentage.

6 Likes