BoilerGuy's Go✔️ILGM-Banana Kush

5/26/20-- The ILGM-Banana Kush seedlings
(2 blue cups) are 9 days old and appear to be in healthy condition. Soil finally needs watering feels like it’s been forever but the Happy frog soil seems to hold a lot more water than those other experiments you see, and I don’t want to overwater! Definitely would like 1 of those others to turn out female… 2 would be pushing it inside the 4x4. Other than that everything so far seems to be doing well. Suggestions?

3 Likes

Looking great! I looked through your post, and I may have missed it, and my eyes aren’t what they used to be, do you have a 6" circular fan blowing above the tops of the girls? Create a nice gentle breeze on them, will help strengthen the roots and stems.

Yes, so I’ve got a 6" fan that I set up to blow across the tops of the plants. I plan on getting another fan of some kind to help with soon to be heat issues… see, I’ve kinda got a problem with ventilation.:-1:
I can circulate as much air I want around the grow tent that’s inside a room of its own but it won’t help. Problem is my 6" exhaust with the carbon filter discharges the air right back into the room… really need to vent it outside or to the attic. Really trying to debate on the (how’s and to’s) to make a ceiling penetration to the attic. but if I do it… it needs to be clean and discreet for when and if I were to sell the house… windows are not an option…

1 Like

5/30/20-- I have made the decision to apply some stress to 2 of the bag seed plants by pulling them down with some string and a screw. This was done the day after watering/feeding of really only on cal/mag and 1 teardrop of Humboldts Golden Tree in 500ml of 6.7ph water. I’ve kept feedwater at 750ppm. And will probably continue to do the same for the Bananas! The other SMALLER plant in the green cup of the same bag seed as with all the other green cups. BUT it has been planted in only Miracle-Gro garden soil. The other BIGGER green cup that I haven’t tied down is grown in only Burpee’s seedling starting soil. But I’ll be honest, when that thing germinated the tail was significantly bigger than the others and they were all germinated the same. So IDK, but now I’m in the big debate to tie it down as well or let this be the first one I don’t stress of supercrop at all? I’d like someone’s opinion as to what I should do with that bigger green cupped plant…

ALSO! My 5 gallon fabric potting bags will be delivered later this afternoon and I’m seriously considering transplanting. I’ve only got 5 bags! If I don’t get it done tonight then the plants will have to wait another 3 days until I can get back with them!

Check this out!

3 Likes

5/31/20

4 Likes

That the way to do it boiler! She is going to love her new home!

2 Likes

“She”… I sure hope those green cupped plants are females. It’s bag seed, but I’ve got a feeling they’re Tahoes. The Bananas are feminized seeds so that helps. But man!! Look at those roots! Wow! I haven’t ever had results like. Combination of Myco and actually maintaining the correct pH for once?! These things are going to thrive!

2 Likes

Shout-out to @Hellraiser for the banana peel method reminder! So I’ll be honest… As I went to pull that first plant out of the solo cup… thinking I’d just give it a little “roll and squeeze” action it’d pop right out of the cup… IT DIDN’T!! I then remembered the banana peel method on those solo cups and WHOA! That’s TOO easy people! Absolutely no damages to the roots this way! It was great! So I really appreciate that, thank you! I’ll be banana peeling when those “bananas” get a little more ripe :grin::grin: Until then…

3 Likes

Sweet, yeah the banana peel method makes solo cup transplant so easy, glad it worked out for you. Happy growing!

1 Like

SO EASY! I bet I would’ve kept pulling/rolling and squeezing on that plant. Really cool you shared that idea! So I appreciate that! QUESTION—> How do you deal with the drainage? What’s your setup? With this 4x4 tent and hopefully 5 female plants. How would you go about it… Right now, as you can see I’ve got a plastic tote to contain the drainage water. I want to maintain a clean and orderly tent.

1 Like

In my veg tent I use 12" round saucers for the 3 gal pots, when I water, I pull a plant out and put on a double saucer that I use for watering (double to keep it stiff), water, let drain for a few minutes, return to it’s own dry saucer, empty the runoff from my watering saucer into a bucket and repeat for each plant. In my flowering tent, all the 7 gal pots are up on pot elevators sitting in large 17" round saucers, since they are screened, there’s no moving them so I use a large 300ml syringe to suck out the runoff water from the saucers.

This system could use some improvement, I’m about to redo the system using a single large tray in each tent to hold all the pots and have a single point of drainage, still working on the details of that setup and finding the right tray. But that’s they way it should be, always look for improvements in your setup.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m almost the same… I’ve got 5gal instead of 7 as far as final destination right now. And I don’t double yet… AND yes, definitely still discussing and debating on a single point drainage within the 4x4 W/ hopefully 5 female plants… we’ll figure something out!

1 Like

Also, @Hellraiser what was you AC window exhaust kit that you ended up using? That’s really my only problem with this whole operation at this point. Temperature control within the tent!
I’ve got a 6" exhaust.

1 Like

:grin: Until then…

4 Likes

I used this window exhaust kit, was easy install. Nice buds!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R65112D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

6/3/20-- I can see some roots showing through those slots on the bottom of the solo cups with those Banana Kush (fem). They appear to be doing well. As for the other (3) mystery plants that I’ve already transplanted, they too look do be doing good and took the transplant well. I will probably be transplanting those 2 bananas into a 5gal fabric pot within the next couple of days.

lst… fimming… topping… I don’t see why I shouldn’t. Other than I’d hate to be crowded late season in the 4x4 if all 5 of these end up being female. Bitter sweet

2 Likes

6/6/20-- It’s been 6 days since the transplant of those 3. TO WATER OR NOT TO WATER? I’d like someone’s opinion.
It has been 6 days of nothing. No misting either. Top of the soil is very dry. Averaging 45% humidity and 81°f inside the tent, also fans been blowing across them too. The moisture meter works correctly as far as I can tell. If I lift up the whole plant there is a little bit moisture I can see on the black drainage pan. Not sitting water or anything.

I believe I’ll be transplanting those 2 beautiful Bananas today. They need water soil is dry, entire cup in light in weight. It’s time to water them but would you go another week in the solo cups or go ahead and transplant and get them watered in?

1 Like

The only thing accurate IMO on those 3 in 1 meters is the soil checker. I know it feels like forever and your gut is telling you to water them, I have been down that path with mine.

I would put that meter on the other side of the pot to get a reading. If either side is showing slight moist, I would 1 more day…at least for the one in the picture.

You will get to a point of watering her every other day, and will get to the point, of saying, she needs water, again?? Lol

I transfer out of solo cups between 17 and 21 days out of ground. They look like they are ready to me.

1 Like

That’s how I feel about that meter… alright then. Tomorrow morning I will transplant and water in so that they’re all on relatively the same schedule… I suppose I should transplant that 6th one I’ve got that’s strictly in that Miracle-Gro garden soil in case I find a male within the others…

1 Like

@OldTimeRockAndGrow