Bogleg's Hazy Black and Blue Grow

They worked well, held plant centered until plants outgrew them as stalk got thicker.

th

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks @bryan see there ya go @Bogleg @bryan figured it out before both of us. Lol

1 Like

They worked well, held plant centered until plants outgrew them as stalk got thicker.

th

5 Likes

Not much to report - Iā€™m just keeping the PH in check on all the plants. Iā€™ll do a reservoir change in another week. So far I havenā€™t had to top them off or anything, but maybe tomorrow I will finally have to do that. Right now they are all sitting on top of 400ppm waterā€¦ at least they arenā€™t looking underfed anymore. Looks like the damaged GL will survive. Kind of a shame because I was considering dropping a chronic widow seed in itā€™s placeā€¦ I might still drop one for outside.

BCK:

BBA:

GL1:

GL2:

The last plant still doesnā€™t have roots in the water - but it looks like itā€™s finally on the rebound so Iā€™m hoping soon Iā€™ll see some dangling into the res. All the others are developing roots quickly.

11 Likes

Looking good as usual

1 Like

With you growing them, I have total confidence theyā€™ll not just survive, but thrive @Bogleg

1 Like

I hope so! Iā€™m being a lot more lackadaisical on this run so far. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Today marks the 25th day since germination.

Each plant is now receiving individual attention. Clearly the BCK has grown optimally to this point. The BBA looks like itā€™s been a little N deficient but seems to be going well now.

One of the GLs looks okay - but itā€™s damaged from my dropping a fan on it last week (youā€™ll see in the pics). And the other GL is in all sorts of trouble, but itā€™s recovered - just stunted for the time being. The GLs are going outside and being mainfolded so I am in no hurry on them. The clock is ticking on the BBA. Sheā€™s poised for a big growth spurt this week I think.

All plants are on some version of the following nutrient mix (per gallon):

5ml Armor Si (BCK is at 7.5ml)
5ml CalMag
2.5ml Micro/Grow/Bloom

Here they are.

BCK:

Iā€™ve dropped the damn lid on the BCK a couple of times - thankfully nothing broke but I need to be careful with these new totes. Sheā€™s sitting over 550 ppm.

BBA:

The BBA got a little N deficient when I was on a road trip and she was still being top fed. Shesā€™ sitting over 400ppm water.

GL1:

You can see her damaged leaves from the Lasko tower fan falling on her. Sheā€™ll be okay though. Sheā€™s on 300ppm of nutes.

And here is GL2:

So no roots in the res on her. I set the res at 250ppm.

I also ran out of GH Ph Down over the weekend (more being delivered today) and had to go to Walmart for a backup option yesterday - I ended up getting something called Alaska PH Down or whateverā€¦ itā€™s in crystal form. A little of that goes a long long way!

12 Likes

Iā€™m taking notes @Bogleg they look great.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 - check this out:

s-l640

Basically a reservoir on one end with a pump to run it through. I think this would be pretty easy to build - and I could even have the reservoir be external to the tent and run a hose to the PVC pipeā€¦

11 Likes

Oh ya, I like it! Seems like it would be simple enough too.

thanks buddy I know we are looking into approving more vendors but I do catch flack if I donā€™t remove links from non cleared vendors

2 Likes

No problem - Iā€™m here to follow the rules. Sometimes I just donā€™t know them well enough. :wink:

26 days since the seeds dropped.

Iā€™ve had a few issues but they were things I was able to catch quickly. The main one was that on Saturday I ran out of PH Down. Of course, I did this AFTER I had already drained the reservoir on the BCK, so I had to come up with a ā€œquickā€ solution. My solution was to google other PH Down options I might be able to source locally. I got some kind of crystals from Wal-Mart made by Alaska Naturals. Wellā€¦ I had to play around forever with them and a bucket of 8 gallons of water to figure out how much I neededā€¦ so I used that crap and thought I had my PH corrected.

Flash forward to yesterday afternoon and I notice that the BCK and the BBA - both the plants I used the crystal stuff on - looking a little droopy. Lucky me a new bottle of GH PH Down came in the mail yesterday, and I was able to get the PH down to 5.8-5.9 before the lights went out in the tent at 2pm.

I kept an eye on them via night vision camera during their 6 hours of darkness, and the BCK got more droopy - I figured no big deal, the lights are out. When the lights came back on at 8pm last night, I checked the PH again and it was at 7 again! I adjusted it back down to 5.8.

This morning when I woke up I checked the plants and the droopiness was gone - I thought, hey, thatā€™s great - but letā€™s check the PH again anyway.

6.5 on both plants! So I readjusted back to 5.8 and will keep a close eye on them over the next couple of days. If the PH keeps spiking like that Iā€™ll probably do a quick Florakleen flush on them an reset them. They will all get flushed this upcoming weekend.

Anyway, all is going well - still no roots on the small Gold Leaf (I canā€™t even see one). I might dig her out and see whatā€™s going on under the hydrocorn.

Here they are as of this morning, 25 days in:

BCK top left, GL2 top middle, BBA top right, GL1 bottom.

@samueldgreene how long will the BBA be in veg, on average? Itā€™s got 4 sets of leaves out but the first set of leaves are small and not that well established. Once the current new growth is established I think Iā€™m going to top it.

12 Likes

I donā€™t think he has an account over here lol

3 Likes

Haha - oops!

3 Likes

Yesterday at around 5pm I noticed that my BCK and BBA were super droopy. I had been battling some PH issues with some kind of crappy Wal-mart PH down stuff I got in an emergency and kept seeing my PH skyrocketing in both plants - I just assumed it was because I was using a new PH Down solution. In the morning yesterday the plants were looking good (see pic).

At 5pm I happened to be in the basement. The lights were off in the tent but I thought I should take a look anyway, and sure enough, both the BCK and the BBA looked really bad.

It turns out I had root rot in both plants. Soā€¦ I drained the reservoirs and swapped them out with new buckets. Cleaned off what I could from the air stone and air hose and cut out all affected roots. Thankfully all the crap was below the water line. The BCK was way more advanced (it happened so fast!) and I ended up trimming all her roots below the water line. She now has 2" of roots coming out of the pot but at least they are all white for the moment.

The BBA wasnā€™t as bad, but she didnā€™t have as many roots, either.

For now they are both over plain tap water thatā€™s been PHā€™d to 5.8-6.0. I have Hydroguard on order. In the mean time I added another air stone to the BCK tote - but I donā€™t have an extra air stone to add to the BBA tote, so I ordered one of those as well.

Iā€™m not sure if either plant will make it, but at least this morning they are looking okay. If they make it to noon and look okay I will add some nutes into their reservoirs.

4 Likes

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully just a bump in the road and will look much better this afternoon.

2 Likes

If not, I can just drop two new seeds. Thankfully I am not in a rush to stock my shelves, anymore. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, I might be through the woods - for sure on the BBA. Here are the girls as of this morning:

First up is the BCK. Her bottom set of big leaves havenā€™t perked up yet, but the growth on top has definitely perked up. Iā€™ll be keeping an eye on her throughout the day to see if we see continued improvements.

Next up is GL1. Sheā€™s the healthiest of the plants at this point, even though she has a bunch of damaged leaves from me dropping the tower fan on her. Her res stays pretty consistently between 5.8-5.9 and so far sheā€™s been very low maintenance (knock on wood).

Below is the small GL (GL2). The good news is sheā€™s finally got roots dropping down into the water. I guess she wanted to make sure ALL of her roots arrived into the reservoir at the same time, because she has a dozen or so poking out from the bottom of the net pot now. I expect over the next week weā€™ll see major growth out of her.

And lastly the BBA, which seems to be recovered from all her trauma. I didnā€™t have to take too much off of her in the way of root mass - she didnā€™t have as many roots as the BCK so it was localized and I was able to save a couple of long roots.

So - as of right now it looks like Iā€™ll keep plugging along with these four girls. Hydroguard and more air stones show up tomorrow, so in the future Iā€™ll be armed better to combat this if it pops up again.

7 Likes

By comparison here is what the BCK and BBA looked like for the past two days:

2 Likes