Happy New Year everyone!
This journal starts on day 2 since seeds were dropped in water. All days will be noted from that time.
Over the summer, I intentionally bred together an Alien Fruit Cake male with a Cinderella 99 female. I am now in the process of taking those first generation hybrid seeds and doing some pheno hunting. Why the name “Dejah?” Dejah Thoris is the name of a Martian princess from the Edgar Rice Burrough’s “Martian” novels. It was the first “alien princess” that came to mind, which, of course, is a direct nod to both the father and mother of these hybrids.
For this grow, I will be be primarily using my flower tent. The tent is a 4x4x80" tent.
Lighting: three rails of five Citizen CLU048-1212 90CRI GEN5 COBs, running at 40w each, for a total of 600 potential watts.
Medium: 40 gallon reservoir under a 3x3 flood tray. I have fashioned a lid for my tray out of treated/sealed plywood that I put sixteen 4" net pots in.
Nutrients: General Hydroponics nutes, using Lucas Formula plus supplements (Calimagic, Armor Si for the whole grow, Liquid Koolbloom, Floralicious Nectar during flower). My general strategy is to run 200-250ppm from the time they go into the rooters (I soak the rooters in a mild nutrient solution prior to installing the seeds), then run half-strength Lucas Formula (4ml FloraMicro, 8ml FloraBloom) plus the low end of the bottle recommendations for Calimagic and Armor Si. Once I hit flower, I go to full strength Lucas Formula (8ml Micro, 16ml Bloom), continue with the Calimagic and Armor Si, and, as the flower portion of the grow progresses, I use Liquid Koolbloom and/or Floralicious Bloom/Nectar to boost PPMs where I want them. I pretty much never go above 1500ppm in hydro.
Here is a picture of the flower tent I will be using:
The plan is to germinate and raise 16 seedlings to veg, and then immediately put them in flower. I dropped seeds a few days ago and put the first set in rooters a couple days ago. Say hello to the first “Dejah” hybrids:
Once I have them under 12/12 lights and can determine sex, I will pull out all the males, and move the healthiest looking male to one of my other tents to become a donor male for an eventual back cross. At this point I might drop more seeds to replace the males, depending on how many I end up having to cull.
This will be my second attempt using the flood and drain system, and also my second attempt trying to figure out how to best approach a SOG-like grow. My first attempt, while successful in terms of yield/harvest/etc, was a little too unruly for my liking. Last grow my clones exploded in size when I put them in the flower tent - I’m wondering if there is a way I can keep them a little smaller (with more plants) this time around… so I’ll likely play with the dimmers on my light rails during the transition to see if I can affect growth rate.
Anyway, lots of experimenting will be going on in this grow.
I edited this post to replace references to “SOG” with “SOG-ish” or “SOG-like”, so no one will be confused between my grow and a “true” SOG.