Blurple conversion

I could fit a driver of the same size on the opposite side of the fan.

1 Like

Does the supply have to be DC? I have a ton of fluorescent ballast but I believe they put out AC

1 Like

I’m looking now and appears fan circuit is separate than led circuit. But driver label doesn’t suggest that, so I’m not sure if the 180v max needs fan voltage deducted or not.

I saw ac infinity has 120v component fans …

1 Like

I bought some, but don’t remember if I got 120v.

Still kinda kicking around some ideas here and trying to figure out what will fit the best.

I’m imagining for mine, a 3500k COB set up for a 3x3 with great coverage on corners and edges. The redemption blurple mounted in the middle with reds, UV and some 2700k LED’s. This would be used as flower booster and to fill in the coverage in the middle. I don’t know if I’ll need 4 or 6 cobs

1 Like

When you use cobs need to make sure they are under heatsinks, otherwise that should be fine if factory drivers support it.

I’m thinking something like A DIY kit from Rapid LED. Like 300+ watts and my blurple mounted in the middle of the frame.

1 Like

Oh, that makes sense. I haven’t browsed their kits lately, but you can probably save some sourcing all the parts individually.

@dbrn32 I’m officially free from all blurpleness in my grow. My 3rd 260 kit came in yesterday. Assembled him this morning and put him in the closet where I have 4 WWs in Veg.

Here’s what I’d like to do with the blurple.

Add to my Veg tent when I have to flower in it. So I’m thinking a small UV strip along with two others.

I have 3 small drivers in there with two fans. The LED boards are mounted on a thin 7.5inx12in aluminum heat sink.

Here are my questions

Can I omit the fans? If not, I’ll pull apart the wire ties and see where their power is coming from. I’ll buy a small 120v fan if I have to.

Can each driver power one strip?

2 Likes

One more piece of info;

I have a 3x3 tent coming soon.

It’ll be my Veg tent and I’ll occasionally flower in there too. I’ll have a 260 RSpec in there

2 Likes

Correction. All LEDs are mounted directly to the aluminum heat sink

1 Like

Do the fans blow directly into the back of the pcb then? Usually the pcb is mounted to at least a cheapo chunk of heatsink

Yes. Then vents through the louvres cut into the side.

1 Like

There is no heatsink other than what the LED’s are mounted to.

1 Like

That pcb is pretty much useless then. Imo you have 2 options for components there. The drivers can be recycled regardless, just a matter of whether you want to reuse the case or not.

If you want to use case you would need to find something suitable to mount new leds to, then size to fit. If you don’t, they yoj are pretty much starting from scratch with the drivers.

1 Like

I thought I’d just flip it and utilize the blank side. The mounting holes would line up perfectly. If I need to pop off the LED’s and sand it to expose the metal, that’s no problem.

I can go with individual LED’s from Rapid LED or different strips. Maybe 2 COBs and a line of UV LEDs?

I’d like to use the same case. This is more of a “look at what I did” project.

Maybe a QB board if I run all three drivers in parallel? And get a 120v fan to run off of line voltage.

I take that back, I couldn’t mount a QB board, scratch that.

1 Like

The masking on led side will inhibit heat dissipation

1 Like

I’ll take it down to bare metal.

1 Like

Should work then, but I would keep the fans. I will have to wait til later to look for modules, wifey is about to be cracking whip