Blueberry - the bud has not turned into the purple blue

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

“Hello, I bought a few blueberry seeds a few months ago, I have been in the flowering stage for a month now and the bud has not turned into the purple blue color. What do I need to do to make it look purple? Please help.”

1 Like

sometimes they just will not turn colors,but lowering the temps during the dark period could trigger this…there is really no magic wand to raise and make your BB to change color …maybe others could chime in and help also…

4 Likes

Some phenotypes are more prone to turn others not so m7ch just depends, like @BIGE said you can try lowering night temp to see if it will kick it in the arse

2 Likes

Blueberry describes the taste, not the color. While some phenotypes may have a light blue hue, this is not always the case. However, as @BIGE mentioned, you can try lowering the temps during the dark period. You will need to get the temps down to 45°-50°F. As long as your strain is high in anthocyanins (such as Purple Urkle, Purple Dream, Sour Grape, Northern Lights, Blackwater, Mendocino Purps, Purple Haze, Grandaddy Purple, Blue Dream, Blueberry, Purple Trainwreck, and others) the buds should begin to turn purple about 2 weeks before harvest.

4 Likes

This is very disappointing to hear. I bought the seeds for the look not the taste.

I have them in a grow tent. what would be the best and easiest way to lower the temp to 45 degrees? I live in Southern California, It is very hard to get the inside of an apartment to go that low in temperature.

1 Like

the odds are you get some that have that trait,maybe all…who knows

What would be the best way to lower the temperature to 45 degrees in a grow tent?

1 Like

freeze some plastic milk juggs of water and put in there…air conditioner

4 Likes

I have used dry ice for co2 and temperature control.:sunglasses:

If you have a window unit ac you could cover it with box,run duct tubing to tent… cuthole just big enough for tubing.4 inch should work out…

2 Likes

I have a portable ac I attached flexible ducting to and ran into my tent. I also saw where someone converted a refrigerator into a growbox.

I just finished a round with Blueberry and it’s all about the genes my sugar leafs got tint and the odd bud but even with temps dropping down to 50f at night the pheno mainly expressed in the leaves not buds and required extra days and lower ppm.

2 Likes

Mine are at the end of week 6. Just started turning a lil purple now on the top buds that’s it. I hope by harvest they turn more purple

Mine are not purple. This is a blueberry auto dwarfed plant. Probably only get a slice out of it. In just let it grow in the window for the most part. Pruned it while vegging to keep it smaller. Took longer as well. This plant is 11 weeks and likely 2 weeks left.