Blueberry Auto failing

Hi there, first time hydro grow, I am growing in expanded clay media, Ph is currently 6.2 and nutes at 1300ppm, humidity is at 66% with a 12" fan on the plants and airtemps currently at 24DegC ranging upto 35DegC during the day and no lower than 10DegC at night. First, water is 100L in the pool, it is 3 weeks old, and it was not de-chlorinated, my friend is running a very similar set up ( i copied him) and does not have this issue but is using a 3 run homer strain. I am using the excellent HLG 260 V2 RED SPEC LED light at 18" above canopy height. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am guessing it is a calcium or magnesium deficiency?

Hydro needs a pH of 5.8
Probably more to the problem, you are not far out of range.
Others may be more help than I

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Spiney, I thought that if using rockwool you needed ph 5.8 and in the recirculating system I am using the nutes say otherwise? Please see attached photos

I should add that the plants are 3 weeks old as well and I meant Manganese or Potassium deficiency.

“Other Growth Mediums” would be soils…and 6.3 to 6.5 is the sweet spot for soil growing.
I honestly cannot find any documentation on those products. No website from the manufacturer.
I would try to hit 5.5 to 5.8 for your hydro solution.
Perhaps switch to something with more documentation next grow.

1 Like

So it looks like a good product line.
Instructions are really lacking from the manufacturer.
I did find this which is not a lot.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your time and effort Spiney. I have gone and purchased some Cal-Mag, and will try that, although this will also drive my nutes higher wont it?

1 Like

Since hydro is not my thing I will defer to those who do know more.
Perhaps @Myfriendis410 could help us out here.
or @Covertgrower @dbrn32

4 Likes

Any chance water got on those leaves?
I cant tell if the new growth has it

1 Like

Im in hydro and soil … hydro ph at 5.8 or around that jacks321.1606519416824

2 Likes

Yes Hydro921, water definitely has got on those leaves, I made up a solution of Yates Spinetoram at 10ml/L in tap water to deal with thrip however, the other plant was sprayed similarly and only has minor affectation of the same issue

1 Like

I use ro water so I always use calmag.
I had some leaves look like that when I got water on the leaves.
I’m just a newbie compared to the guys mentioned above. Let’s see what they have to say.

My babies

3 Likes

The plant on the lower left had some leaves like that.
It recovered and those leaves will go anyway

1 Like

You also do want your ph at 5.8 in hydro

1 Like

Yes, it would.

6 Likes

Welcome!!

1 Like

Thankyou Covertgrower! So I should add that first to fresh water as I am due a change and then add the other nutes as per usual, whilst maintaining PH 5.8? I thought wrongly that calcium absorbtion began at ph6 but obviously not

Thankyou for your advice Hydro921

1 Like

I think you have some great help. If you’re spraying plants, try to do so right at lights out. Beads of moisture on leaves can produce burn spots from light. Otherwise i would try to add a little calmag and maybe drop your total ppm a few hundred points ph’d to around 5.8. Check your ph regularly as certain conditions can make it rise or fall quickly.

4 Likes

Let’s get a little more targeted information:

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
Age of plant
Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, fabric pots
PH and TDSof Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
method used to measure PH and TDS
Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
Light system LED, MH/HPS/CMH/Fluorescents, or other
Actual wattage draw of lights
Current Light Schedule
Temps; Day, Night
Humidity; Day, Night
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
Co2; Yes, No
If growing Hydro some additional questions:
DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?
Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
Temperature of reservoir
TDS of nutrient solution

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Are you still top feeding? TDS of 1,300 is high for a young plant: should be more like 600 ppm. PH as stated should be around 5.5 to 5.8. How much air are you running in bucket? Are you using a product like Hydroguard?

3 Likes