Blueberry 420 mainlined. Beginner grower

I am a very inexperienced grower and would appreciate any tips/suggestions! I’ve only grown 2 successful plants before this which yielded big but very thin and popcorny buds hence why I’m trying main lining this time. I got my Blueberry 420 seeds from AMS, and I’m not certain but want to say they’re on week 4-5. Really not sure. I have topped twice, the first time when there was 6 nodes, down to the 3rd one. I followed nugbuckets guide and tied the new growth from the nodes down when they were big enough. They were topped again after each new cola had 2 nodes, down to the first one. the 4 new colas are growing out and I will top once more for a total of 8. I am growing indoors in an empty room. I used fox farm ocean Forrest soil, and it’s in a 3 gallon smart pot. I am also using the fox farm nutrients grow big and big bloom, following the fox farm feeding schedule. Right now I have one 1000w LED lamp on it. I have another 300w LED lamp that is not in use. Are there any suggestions for using both lamps or is the one sufficient for now? I read blueberry is a somewhat difficult strain to grow so I will keep updating this thread and any insight would be greatly appreciated! Here is what she looks like today. I’m only starting with one and taking clones the next time I top.

14 Likes

Larfy buds usually come from poor light intensity. The 1000w led u have is probably closer to 200w depending on the brand. U can use the 300 w u have for side light.

I also grow in a larger space and that’s good for growing many plants but if u just have one u would be better getting in a corner of the room to use the walls to bounce light back to your plant. A couple of pieces of reflective board from Lowe’s at 10$ a pc would really make better use of your light unless your walls are painted a bright white which is also very reflective.

U have more guts than me. I could never cut that much off one of my plants. Good luck I hope u get some dense nugs!

7 Likes

I do have the plant in a corner of the room, it has a sort of open closet I guess you could call it. I had tinfoil on the walls lol I didn’t know where to get the light reflectors thanks for the tip! The lamp I have I got from Amazon and the brand is Dimgogo, I’m new to the site so I’m going to try and attach the link here -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W8G8Q5/?tag=greenrel-20

1 Like

Is there a better kind of lighting you suggest? The last two plants I grew I had both under the one 1000w lamp, that’s why I’m starting with one for now I wanted to see how much better it would be with just one plant directly under the lamp. Should I invest another $120 into a second lamp of the same kind?

@dbrn32. He’s your lighting guy. Tin foil is great reflective material. It works fine.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up I’ll check out his posts!

2 Likes

You could certainly get better lighting. But since you’re only mainlining the one plant I would suggest giving it a try with wat you have.

If you surround your area with reflective material will help a lot. If you use aluminum foil, I would suggest crumpling it up a little to avoid hot spots from direct reflection. Otherwise stuff like panda film works very well and is pretty inexpensive. When you switch to flower I would suggest adding the other light fixture and gradually lowering the two lights as you feel comfortable doing so.

4 Likes

How far away would you suggest for the stage it’s in now?

Probably somewhere between 18-24”. I’m not very familiar with those, but pretty common for that power level.

1 Like

I’m a sucker for plant teaining, and mainline is one of my favorite techniques. I look forward to following along with this. I would suggest adding a little soil all of that stem if burrried will become root, I believe anyway. When I top I like to try to leave a little extra on the stem from the node I take off to help with stability when the stalk begins to thicken. She looks good just needs some time to recover from the training. :+1::v:

1 Like

I have 2 of those lights and they only pull 120 w from wall and if you flower with these lights you won’t be reaching your plants full potential. I’m so disappointed and I have 2 of them on 1 plant and she looks like she’s gonna get dried and ground up for edibles

What are your suggestions for better lighting? I read through some of your content and I’m fairly certain I will not be able to build a lamp unless I had very simple step by step instructions :grin: But I am willing to invest in more/better lamps I can purchase that just need to be set up. I wouldn’t want to spend more than $4-$500 since it’s just a small personal grow

2 Likes

Why are you using them for edibles can I ask? Any suggestions on a better lamp? I grew two WW under this same lamp not too long ago & the buds were a bit airy but rather large, I think haha. I just found some pics of them -

@Jrock9435

8 Likes

Those were grown with the same lamp, under 18/6 from start to finish and I only used the fox farm big bloom with that plant. No topping or training, they were my first plants :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Very nice for a first grow. But as u yourself described Larfy buds which come from poor light intensity. U do not need to spend 500 to get good light for a small space. Go to hlg dot com and look at the 288 qb board. That would triple your lightening and create nice dense buds just ask @raustin. I believe she is loving hers

5 Likes

Yep, I’m loving mine and only cost $200.

3 Likes

Thank you :relaxed:

1 Like

Is it HLG . Com? It took me to a healthcare page

Weird. Google hlg led. It will b the first result

I found it thanks again, how do I use them do I need to add something to them?