Blue Dream Grow Journal

Topped her today, trying to get those side branches to grow more. The top is getting up into 50000 lux territory. I will need to lower the plant a bit soon.

Got some red COBs on their way from China, so I can add some 660 nm light to my 5000 K COBs.

2 Likes

Responding already to topping and big pot? I don’t know if either one is responsible, but I’m happy with the result. I can see lots of branches that look good for taking clones eventually.

3 Likes

Just doubled the light on the plant by adding reflectors to the COBs. Angelica reflectors from Rapid LED, $9.50 each. From 38" away, it went from 6000 lux to 13000 lux! The side light being reflected off the white boards is doubled, too.

2 Likes

Coco is very forgiving when it comes to watering. The plant looked good tonight (start of light time) but the top few inches of coco felt pretty dry. So I made up a gallon of my feeding solution and pHed it. Dumped the whole gallon in the 5 gallon pot and nothing came out the bottom! Which means it was pretty dry throughout the coco mass. But the plant still had enough water! I’ll give it some more in the morning to dump 30% waste and get the salt out.

I love this stuff: You really can’t over water because any extra just comes right out the bottom. Then it has such a nice sponge structure, the plant gets enough water until it is really dry.

3 Likes

Side branches are really coming up and leafing out. Anybody have an opinion of how old a mother plant should be before you take cuttings for clones? I’m not really ready yet but i can see lots of good candidate branches.

@bob31 @Hogmaster @AmnesiaHaze @Myfriendis410 @DieHigh55 @Covertgrower @Alton66

3 Likes

@1BigFella there is no rules. When you take it, it’ll grow back. I do know you should replace your mother plant once a year.

1 Like

I think you can take clones anytime, just not during flowering. Your girl looks ready.

1 Like

Actually the best clones are taken in flower FYI. Monster cropping.

2 Likes

Really? As they say on South Park…“Y’know, I learned something today”.

2 Likes

A very lush lady: Ready to donate clones.

6 Likes

Only about three days old. I didn’t think this was possible but they are all sending up lots of fine little leaves. 5 out of 5 clones look like they have new growth! Snipped from five tops, dipped in clonex gel, rooting cubes saturated with pHed tap water. Spraying with 1/2 strength Dyna-Gro GROW nutrient. They seem to like it.

5 Likes

Hitting the lights, even after i raised them.

2 Likes

Time for a little of the top. This is supposed to become a mother plant. I might let it go to flower in a year and a half or so. I’ll see. Meanwhile, it doesn’t need to be so tall. Made a few more clones with the trimmings. If all survive, I am at the legal limit for medical marijuana patients in California in terms of immature plants.

1 Like

My little clone farm. The tall ones in front are newly cut. The 5 in the back are about 14 days old. Starting to show some roots! It’s been a very interesting experience: I assumed they would wilt a lot and take a while to recover, but these were top-most tips and they always looked fine. I read everywhere that lower branches were better, but I hated to throw away the clippings when I topped the plant. They actually started growing immediately, like they were not aware there was a whole plant missing below. They have lost zero fans. Maybe it’s because I did such a good job spraying them several times a day with 1/2 strength nute solution. Or maybe this is just a very robust plant.
Root Riot with Clonex Gel, DynaGro Grow

4 Likes

The true 600 watts of COBs I have running are doing a great job of heating this end of the house! It’s about 40 F outside and windy, but we have really good insulation and tight windows and doors. They keep my clone tray nice and warm as well. I do have a duct fan to keep the COBs cool, but the output duct is just blowing out of the grow room. Come spring time, I can just hook that duct up to the window vent and blow it outside.

1 Like

Got some clones in beer cups today. Root Riot cubes were starting to show roots on the outsides. I know, roots don’t like light. I have to make some cardboard sleeves to go around the clear cups. They are clear so I can check for roots without lifting the plant out of the cup.

Pure coco coir with DynaGro nutes 1/2 strength.

3 Likes

Your garden looks great @1BigFella You’re gonna have to cut a hole in the top of the tent for that one plant though!

Just a suggestion drop those clear cups in red solo cups and save your time making sleeves plus easy to just lift out to check…everything is looking great👍

2 Likes

Got the red solo cups for the sleeve’s for $1! Such a deal. Put the transparent cups in them after cutting drainage slots that line up with the transparent cup’s holes.

Now it’s five days later and all five clones are showing several roots against the transparent cup walls. I presume I can stop spraying them now, since they have functional roots? I do pour in some 1/2 strength nutes everyday until some drips out the bottom. I would say they can now be transplanted into cloth pots now, but they are all very short. Like two inches tall but with multiple leaves. Should I wait until they get some height? I think I will elevate them into a stronger light zone. They are getting about 10000 lux now.

@bob31 @Hogmaster @AmnesiaHaze @Myfriendis410 @DieHigh55 @Covertgrower @Alton66 @dbrn32

6 Likes

Very solid roots! Ready for transplant anytime.

2 Likes