Blown LED Lights

Hi we had a power failure last night. Came home from work today and found my lights do not work, both are out. What would be the first thing to look for?

1 Like

It’s a bird!

No it’s a plane!

No it’s ! @dbrn32 to the rescue!

3 Likes

@HearBob check the power cord. I’ve had one fail, catastrophically. After that you’ll probably have to open her up and start there.

1 Like

Assuming you tried another another receptacle on a different circuit not using a power strip?

How good are you with a multimeter?

1 Like

It has been a while. I was an EE/ME student for 3 yrs of a 5 year program. Have studied Coding, CNC & Robotics. Boy that was a lifetime ago. Have a couple of digital multimeters around here, someplace.

1. Checked power cords. They are OK, powering another set of lights now. The tent had 4 250w draw LEDs. I was using 2. Only have a single plant right now.

2. Replaced the surge protectors.

Trying to figure out why both lights went kaput. I did not check the tent after work yesterday. Had a long shift & knew today would be longer. Will try to work on the tomorrow. It will be rough. Having the gutters replaced in the morning, a medical procedure in the afternoon.

With the power surges could I have blown an internal fuse, ballast or a power converter.

Thanks Guys!!!

2 Likes

You could’ve, but I figure it’s not all that common and for it to happen to both at same time, well that’s why I was thinking power strip or something.

If your wall power is good and nothing between receptacle and lights is bad, then next thing I would ask is if you’re under warranty? If not, I would pop the cover off and take a look around. Test input voltage to make sure drivers are getting power, and make sure dc output matches driver nameplate.

1 Like

what should be between the light and wall. a surge protector? I know that cords for the lights are good.

Surge protection, timer, or whatever. Everyone’s setup is a little different. Did you try plugging light directly into wall on a different circuit?

What make and model of LED light is this, by the way?

1 Like

Yep I tried different plugs & cords. Both lights were plugged into the same surge protector. There is no power to the (3) fans, no power to the LEDs. I identified the (3) LED drivers. There is a white block between the cord input and the drivers. One side says input the other output, is this the ballast? I am thinking that this block is the problem It is between the power input and all the other circuitry.

As suspected they are some weird off brand, LXYoug model LX-1200W-MII-05.,
really need to get these working, possibly upgrading them if possible. I bought a second tent & seeds, so no money for new lights
thanks!!!

1 Like

The driver is the power supply, it takes place of what a ballast would typically do. I’m not sure what the white blocks are, anything printed on them? Maybe post some pics?

The drivers would probably be most suspect here, that’s why I suggested testing voltage in and out. But whatever the white blocks are could be an issue too. I would just go along testing voltage on both sides of every component until you find the culprit. The white blocks may just be a filter or fuse that could be removed. Or it could be a rectifier or transformer changing input voltage. Take some pictures of the components and labels so we can see what you’re working with.

1 Like

will get some pics on my next day off things at work are just crazy right now and being shorthanded is not helping

1 Like

found a blown fuse in the lights waiting on replacement fuses

2 Likes

What kind of fuse? You can probably find them locally

1 Like

Finally replaced the fuses the lights are working. @dbrn32 I am sure I could get them, they are the glass tube 250v 2a slow blow 5X20mm. With working 6, 7 days 12 hrs or more a day, this was the easiest will be glad when Labor Day is over. I am a pastry chef at a private country club.

1 Like

I’m glad it was easy fix!