Blackthumb betty's 6 auto strain next (mis)adventure! 2/13/18

Lol, you’ve got a good point there. Well, “pro” is in the name.

1 Like

I want the control, too!

2 Likes

I’m sick of trying to figure out PPMs with the FFOF. It just has too much nutes in it.

2 Likes

I’ve been considering switching to coco. The problems I have with build-up would rinse away faster. They grow faster in coco than in soil. And since my ro water pH starts out pretty low anyway, I would use less pH up…win win!

3 Likes

I’m considering coco too, but I think the Promix might be better.

1 Like

I’ve tried a few different soils, all organic, and they’ve all been waay too hot for me. I’ve had the best luck flushing the soil like crazy, then really customizing the nute regimen to the individual plant’s needs. It’s kind of a pain, but it works for my blackthumb. :grinning:

I’m really looking forward to trying it.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing the same thing. I flush like crazy to get the PPMs down to a reasonable level, but then why am I spending all this money on Foxfarm if i’m just flushing out the nutes?

2 Likes

Coco seems like more work. I mean, I spend hours a day with my plants, anyway, but b/c I want to, not b/c I absolutely need to. :grinning: I don’t want to have to water daily.

2 Likes

Exactly! What a waste. Might as well start neutral to begin with.

1 Like

I’m confused about the coco. Does it retain water, or does it drain well, or both?

3 Likes

So I looked over the ingrediants and didn’t come up with much more @blackthumbbetty. Canadian Sphagum Peat Moss 65-75%, Perlite, Dolomitic and Calcitic limestone (for pH adjuster), wetting agent, Mycorrhizae (Glomus intratdices) and Biofugicide (Bacillus pumilus). Nothing more specific than that on the package. :frowning:
The Pro-mix BX is a general mix.

2 Likes

Then there are different kinds of Promix. I was looking at the Pro-Mix HP Bio fungicide + Mycorrhizae, but i’m not sure which is best.

2 Likes

I have read the packaging & ingredients. I don’t need advice on what it is, but rather how to properly use it. :grinning:

I’ve heard the ph can run the same as soil, but I’ve also heard to use it like hydro Ph.

1 Like

A lot of people seem to use the bx or hp. I’ll be using the hp, mostly b/c they carry it at the farmer’s co-op in my town.

Here’s a thread on watering/feeding coco. How often to water coco coir

I am hoping promix doesn’t need near daily attention like the coco.

1 Like

@hogmaster said he runs his at 6.3-6.7.

That’s why I’m trying to get info. There’s a lot of conflicting info out there about how to treat promix. I trust this forum waaay more than others, so I’m hoping to get some solid fact-based answers.

1 Like

@raustin it does both really. It retains a lot of water, but also drains well. And it’s inert, no nutrients.

3 Likes

Same as soil is how I use it

2 Likes

@raustin, I have only used coco but see this in it. it is super easy to use. You can adjust for an issues and get almost instant results. You DO go through a ton of water each day. I use about a gallon a day for each plant. For me, mixing nutes each day is pretty quick. I water, go eat, then come back and remove the run off. I check & log it every time so I know exactly where I stand. I have not had any issues with bugs or such that I see from soil users. That may have been just from out side users though.
Now the one thing I really like about soil is it seems you only water every so often. it would be much easier to leave your plants for a few days. You also don’t use any where close to the water you do in coco. I do plan on doing a grow for one plant in soil later this year. I want to see the pros and cons for me self. So far though. Or since I got a ro water set up, things have gotten much easier and cheaper. What would normally be waste water goes out side into a trash can that my neighbor uses to water his outdoor plants.

4 Likes

I’ve been using both soil and coco and I really prefer the coco. It is indeed more work but that means more time in the “garden” bonding with the plants and less time wasted on trivialities…like housework. It drains well especially when mixed with perlite (50/50 is a good ratio), it’s reusable which soil isn’t and the annoying little gnats which magically appear in every bag of soil don’t seem to like it much.

3 Likes