Black Magic Pro Peat Blend?

I’m planning an outdoor grow this summer of 5 plants in 15 gallon pots. I purchased some Black Magic Pro Peat Blend from Home Depot since using Fox Farms would be expensive to fill those pots. The ingredients are peat moss, coco coir, aged bark and perlite. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I’m thinking I will need to heavily fertilize since this mix is low on nutrients? I’m wondering if I should add anything to this blend to add nutrients before I start? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would recommend getting soil, that is a soilless medium, and will behave unexpectedly. You’ll drive your cost back up to where you were for FFOF if you amend with nutrients. Coco is a soil less medium but grows well. You’ll need a nutrient line regardless either way you choose. Unless you go living soil, but you won’t be able to use the stuff you purchased for that.

3 Likes

Do you think I can mix this Black Magic stuff with FFOF? Maybe 3/4 FFOF and 1/4 Black Magic or 1/2 and 1/2? Because unfortunately I’ve already opened the bag, I hate to waste it. I’m a new grower and didn’t realize this was soilless. I started the plants already and have them in 5 gallon pots with this Black Magic stuff. I should have realized it was soilless because as soon as I transplanted the seedlings into this they became very thirsty in it. Do you think they can stay in this for a few weeks before I move them outdoors in the 15 gallon pots? Thanks!

You can mix it, I wouldn’t go more than 50:50 with it. I still recommend using the FFOF, straight. Especially being a new grower. FFOF is an excellent soil, works well for cannabis and many growers on here use it.

3 Likes

I’m on my second indoor grow with FFOF, it’s been great, I was trying to go cheaper because of the big pots to fill. But as you said, I’d have to spend the $ on nutrients instead. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

3 Likes

Worm castings work great for me🤷🏼‍♂️ May 2020 grow, wish me luck!

U can mix that in the blend. I’ve grown with jus coco coir and petite b4 but worm castings are great for any plant and cheap!

1 Like

This black magic all by it’s self is terrible and it didn’t do good with tomatoes out in my garden either i use promix vegetable and herb mix now

1 Like

Thanks for this info! I see I can get them on Amazon.

I got mine on ebay🤷🏼‍♂️ Want the link?

1 Like

I’m annoyed with myself that I even bought it, I had to buy the jumbo bag too and it will now probably go to waste. I may test it out on an indoor autoflower grow just to see what happens. Thanks

1 Like

Ofc. Ayyy it’s all about trial and error

Great, thank you!

I had to get the big jumbo bag to it holds lots of water and gave my golden tomatoes brown mushy roots
I just spread the bag out and tilled it in the garden

I have bought(never again) Black magic from wal-mart due to the fact of orchelyns bieng out of FFOF, currently in my Flowering Tent I have 2 ladies in the “supposedly magic” dirt and just had to give Nutes to her yesterday due to the difference in medium. You can mix and match @sbgrow as long as you have what @Covertgrower already mentioned and the only thing I would add is to make sure you obtain CALMAG+ (which has iron ) along with the nutrients you purchase.I (now in transition to flower) using FFOF for 6 out of the 8 ladies pots can tell you it will be more challenging to keep up with in the long run for a beginner such as myself (Lesson still being learned currently) as I have never grown more than 1 plant and knew so little that I cut her WELL before she even had the opportunity to begin flowering! (still smoked her) Currently transitioning 8 ladies indoor inside a grow tent.(Legally). SO now that I have rambled my point was this…bite the bullet get the FFOF will save you money in the long run because it has what the Plant will need well into healthy VEG. P.S. You can order online Direct from wholesaler or manufacturer, can even check amazon they have discounted bulk prices for FFOF. just an idea!

2 Likes

If you plan to grow dope outside, especially in large containers, and price is an issue. Real nice farm soil can be bought for 30 bucks a yard! Now I know everybody is on the supersoil bandwagon and thats great if you can justify 3 times or more the cost of balanced farm soil. The truth is that a good quality soil from a farm usually but not always mixed with aged manure, can grow some huge assed plants too. The main reason those dudes in Northern Cali grow trees is because they start their plants around xmas and plant them out in well drained soil as soon as the threat of frost is gone. That gives them 9 to 10 months to grow the dope in straight sunlight, not mamby pamby artificial light that has poor penetration. Dont waste money on store bought mix if you have access to good ole farm dirt!
Oh and big assed containers do make big assed weed!

2 Likes

Find manure if you can . I grow in Rabbit Chicken and Cow its great i only add perlite and great white.

1 Like

Yeah I agree I need to not mess around and just use the FFOF. I found the 1.5 c.f. bags yesterday at a local nursery for only $22 each, I was happy about that, they’re much more expensive on Amazon. Since I have plenty of autoflower seeds I may experiment in the future with the Black Magic. Thanks, and good luck with your grow!

1 Like

Woah those are trees!! If I were lucky enough to grow mine that big I could find myself is some trouble though, my state isn’t legal yet, just medical. I’m already worried about the neighbors smelling these ones I will be growing lol. We do have some farms in the area, I may reach out and see if they sell soil or manure. I would love it for my vegetable garden too. Thanks

1 Like