Black (harmless) Insects

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

“what are the tiny black insects flying around indoor plants ? they don’t seem to do any damage .”

1 Like

probably gnats. The soil probably had them in it, are you by chance using fox farms ocean forest soil…

one of the hang up glue strip things should take care of them…

1 Like

A wine bottle with a small amount of apple cider vinegar will draw them in and they will drown
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Organic soils will have soil nats a great trick I learned from @garrigan62 is to use potato slices this will draw up the larve when you see them on the potato slice take it place it in plastic bag and discard replace with fresh slice and repeat till there are no more nats
Also keeping a fan blowing over the top of the pots helps keep them to a minimum also
Good luck also good grade DE dusted on top of soil
Happy growing :v: CB

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 Good Morning John, I have those darn gnats in my three new plants. Do you put the potato slices right in the soil next to the sprouts?

1 Like

Sorry @Bobbi just saw this
Yes you put on top of soil and larvae will be attracted to it doesn’t need to right next to sprout just on soil depending on size of cup or pot I may need to cut potato to size and place more or less around pot but a couple slice should be ok when you see the larve on it take it and throw it away and replace till no more are seen

1 Like