Black Friday deal?

Hey folks, does anyone know how long the Black Friday seed deals from ilgm are going to run? Hopefully longer than just Friday! I’m thinking about getting the “auto flower mix pack” with amnesia haze, blueberry and northern lights. As a new grower without too much experience do you think these will be good stains for me? I’m in ffof with a 600w mh/hps lamp. I’m currently growing WW autos and have had a bunch of different issues but learning and plugging along. Thanks for any input

Not sure on the length of the deal but maybe @dbrn32 or @Myfriendis410 has some inside details. For a new grower, I’d suggest the route of photo plants. They are much more forgiving than autos.

8 Likes

I agree with @BobbyDigital,go with the photos.More control,less issues and much better yield.

4 Likes

I second that: never understood why autos are considered easier? They aren’t.

4 Likes

I started with autos and took an opportunity to buy some GDP seeds that were on sale. There was no auto version of it at the time. Like you are saying I am having FAR LESS issues. I cant believe how much easier the photo period plants are to grow. And I dont have any runts. Still on a bit of a learning curve. I cloned a few off the first plant and now have 5 plants. I will have to sacrifice at least one, but it will be used somehow im sure.
Also as far as the mixpacks go, I dont think the price changes even during sales. SO no worries on when to buy a mixpack.

3 Likes

I appreciate the responses. I’m leaning towards the autos for a couple reasons. First, my indoor space is a bit limited by height, my outdoor space is as well as I can’t let them get taller than the 5’ fence. Second reason is that I’m in a bit of a time crunch to get a harvest in before I head out of town around the last week in February.
I’m not opposed to photos but is it reasonable to flip them around week 3-5 and keep the height down? I just recently started growing and kinda fell for the “auto trap”

1 Like

Yes , in fact there are some here who just set the lights to 12/12 and go start to finish with that schedule.
I have a Purple haze that way right now. Its about 8" tall and starting flower. Probably will not go beyond 2ft or so.

Nothing wrong with autos, I have had some great plants. Its just less predictible that photo period.
You do need to confirm that you can give 12hrs of COMPLETE darkness. No leaking light from anything.

3 Likes

Autos have a timeline of their own. All autos I’ve grown (blueberry) have gone just as long if not longer than photos.

5 Likes

Yeah Bobby, I had a northern lights auto go just over 16 weeks
…and it grew over 6 ft tall. I bent it over and filled the tent.

3 Likes

That’s just about exactly how long all my auto bluberrys have gone.

3 Likes

These guys have you covered! @BobbyDigital hit on what I was just about to say. You may be better off with photos as you control the timeline moreso than with autos.

Also, perfectly reasonable what you are describing. A grow with controlled height and early flip. That’s exactly how I grow my plants. Top them as soon as they are ready then spread all the new growth horizontally. Ending up with a short bush that is as wide as it is tall with a multitude of colas. The plants are really a blank canvas. You can turn them into whatever you can imagine. This is especially true of photos.

5 Likes

So now, after all I have learned I see the best use of auto flowers is planting them outside in the spring knowing they will mature (generally speaking) in 10 to 12 weeks unlike a photo period that wont even begin to flower until fall.
So its a nice way to get an early harvest using the sun.

3 Likes

Wow, you guys are great! So maybe I’ll grab some northern light photos and give them a shot.
I’m not gonna lie, I’m not super happy with the progress of my ww autos. I made some mistakes with them, actually a lot of mistakes lol, but now I think everything is under control but they are still underwhelming. I can’t wait for them to finish so I can start fresh. I may run both auto and photo in the spring so I can get an early harvest from the autos and train the photos.
I seem to hear a lot of complaints about the fickleness of the autos. I know some people swear by them and they’re great if you’re doing a perpetual indoor grow but I don’t understand why they market them as super easy for the beginner to grow. Man there’s always something to think about!! Hopefully it gets easier with time. Thanks again for the pointers

1 Like

There are some great deals now at ILGM! I just got 10 white widow cbd and they threw in 10 for free! Yeah!

2 Likes

I have no idea on how long sale will be active, sorry. I know I’ve said it before, but we really don’t have much to do with the seed shop. Questions there are best directed through customer service on the seed shop page.

Ditto on the feedback about seeds for beginners though. I also feel like it is easier to be more successful with photo plants. Autos are great for outdoor grows on short growing season or maybe if someone can’t get a light tight space. Otherwise the ability to control veg time on a photo plant could really make a difference for someone with no experience.

2 Likes

I have grown AH auto and the blueberry. AH took 117 - 123 days to mature and three blueberry 88 to 108 days. I started with WWA. BB was by far the easier grow for me.
Started with autos and switched to photos. Truthfully prefer photos but still grow a single auto

2 Likes

Yeah @Spiney_norman I know that I have seen people run and 12/12 with awesome results. I know @MrPeat runs that schedule.

2 Likes

Yes I grow Autos and Photos straight 12/12 start to finish. I have no intention in changing it. My Autos take the same time to grow as my Photos. :+1::+1::+1:

5 Likes

@MrPeat so the time frame is the same, what about the height? Top and lst to keep them down? Also how about harvest between the auto and photo grown in the same time frame?

@Pinboy Yes, they seem to finish in the same time frame. Photos you can control 100% while a Auto does what it wants, when it wants.

None of my Autos have ever compared to my Super Monsters. Its like comparing a orange to a hard boiled egg. My Photos average around 7’6” and well over 6’ wide. Just look at my Avatar Photo. That was one of my small girls and I reach over 7’ in height. With my feet flat on the ground.

3 Likes