Bird protection

Hi all, I am growing on my very sunny and wide open porch, and something, probably birds, have eaten my 2-week-old plants. I am now restarting from scratch. Any ideas on how to keep the birds away? like putting each pot in a mesh bag, or covering the plants with a clear plastic dome (half a Coca Cola bottle)?

Scare crow or fake owl lol

3 Likes

Never had birds eat my plants.they have :poop: on them tho. Do you have a cat or dog ? Squirrels , mice will ravage young plants too. Good luck on round 2. Grow on. :wink::+1::v:

One of my cats hangs out on our deck all the time, keeps most critters away from mine…

1 Like

That’s interesting I’ve had deer help their self. I’ve had other varmints dig up around Plant because blood meal or bone meal . But never had a Bird problems. try trail camera good luck

1 Like

Make a dome outta some chicken wire. Seems odd the birds going after them though. I agree with the rest sounds like something else. Also watch plastic domes outside that will fry seedlings in the sun.

4 Likes

Deer plucked some of mine right out of the ground, last year and this year, they weren’t safe until I got them up on my deck. Now they are so large and getting smelly that I’m not sure if the deer would eat them or not, but I don’t want to take my chances!

I have never had deer eat on plants in flowering stage they always get me in veg stage. @thedeernad

1 Like

If the plant was 2 weeks old a Caterpilla can come and wipe you out over night them little suckers can eat and u wont realize it till it’s far to late at 2 weeks old …I had a Caterpillar eat 2 2 foot tall tomatoes plants in 1 day …that’s when I said in done with the out door …to many variables that u cant controll

2 Likes

“i’m done with the out door …to many variables that u cant control” - I know what you mean, but the thing is in in-door you have to control ALL the variables, it becomes work - not a hobby.

2 Likes

I have to disagree it’s a love for the plant and the smoking of good weed that keeps it more then a hobby to me now when your doing it to pay the Bill’s the love can start to lessen over time but really if you love your job you’ll never work a day in your life :wink:

2 Likes