Big stalks. As they get bigger I’m worried about animals chewing

How to protect stalks? Do I need to worry about bugs eating them?

3 Likes

I wanna see the rest of the plants those are some massive stems. My guess would be plant something like rosemary, sage, chives, dill, parsley, thyme, garlic, or fennel. Most if not all will repel pests. From what ive heard dill, chives, or sage is the way to go for the best insect repellent naturally

2 Likes

I had some plants going in April, what I feel like was field mice coming out at night digging up my plant’s, I have to camouflage so cages or anything around my i couldn’t put , someone suggested i pour red pepper around my plant’s, so I did, never had another rat dig up my plant’s

2 Likes

It started as an “LST” experiment. Couldn’t get it to grow right indoors, so I moved her out.

7 Likes

Wow, thats impressive. The story of how it started makes it even better. What strain is that beast?

3 Likes

Not sure TBH. Bought some flower off a guy and found a seed. Liked it and now here we are.

5 Likes

I have really good compost rich soil. I think the birds (Robins) are digging up worms under the canopy.

5 Likes

If this is your probably you can try the red pepper water like @Nip said or you can place some aluminum foil pans or old cds around the dirt or hung up on stakes by a string so they clang around. Birds wont like the noise or how shiny they are. Some people have took string and beads and hot glued them to the aluminum pans for added noise to further scare birds. Btw your plant looks awesome in all its beauty!

2 Likes

You can get a roll of chicken wire and wrap around the bottom. You see a lot of the larger outdoor growers use it or sonething like. There are 4 some legged critters that like to chew the branches. Also, companion herbs that deter pests work well. The chicken wire can help support the outside branches as well. Beautiful monster!!! Good luck and happy growing!

2 Likes

Nice plant! I think your alright. I dont think anything is gonna chew through that… i would be more concerned about supporting all those tops before storm blows through and demolishes it…