BIG NOOB needs advice on grow room ventilation

Hi y’all!

I’m a big, huge noob and need some advice from the pros regarding ventilation.

I have (2) Gorilla Glue autos that just sprouted today! They’re in 3 gallon fabric pots with FFOF and live in my spare bathroom. My question is, can I use the bathroom exhaust fan and a couple oscillating fans for ventilation? Unfortunately, there’s no windows so I can’t access outside air. If the bathroom exhaust isn’t sufficient, do you have advice on what I can do to? I don’t have neighbors to worry about so the smell isn’t an issue, in case that matters…

Also, last question… I’m keeping the temp at 75-78F, humidity between 40-60 & using 300W LED’s I got off Amazon. I’m finding conflicting information on humidity levels for seedlings. Should I increase the humidity level? I’m using a small humidifier right now.

Thanks for your help!

C

4 Likes

For seedlings i like to have my humidity around 60-80%

1 Like

Ideally 60% plus is best for seedlings, so if you can get it higher that would be helpful. As far as airflow leaving exhaust fan on would help pull air into space. If possible try to set a fan near door to help pull air from another area of house.

1 Like

How is the bathroom vent ducted? Maybe you could remove it and gain access to the outside air. It’s probably a 6 or 8” duct.

4 Likes

I agree with @CurrDogg420 You could take out the bathroom ventilation fan and maybe just reverse the direction it blows so instead of blowing air out it can blow in? Or just remove the fan and install an inline fan from the ceiling. Dryer tubing is pretty cheap and you can make a mount for the fan so its not just dangling there

4 Likes

Thanks for your advice! I’ll up the humidity straight away!

I don’t know how it’s vented but DAMN that’s a brilliant idea! Thank you!

2 Likes

Y’all are so helpful! I’m so glad I found this forum! Your input is greatly appreciated…

2 Likes

Lololol I tried to include your response with mine and it didn’t work… obviously… sorry guys,I’m still trying to get the hang of things… :grimacing:

2 Likes

I think your bathroom fan is fine for now. You’re getting new air from elsewhere in the house and the plants aren’t using much co2. As they get bigger, you ventilation setup may become more of a challenge. Most bath fans don’t have high CFM movement. They hum a lot, but don’t move a lot. With little cycling of air you will have some issues with low co2 (which plants need) and big problems with high humidity. Too high humidity is a huge open door for mold growth, both on the walls and on the plants.

Test the performance of your bath fan. Take a foot long sheet of toilet paper or a Kleenex and put against the grill of the fan while running. Did it stay in place? Doesn’t count it it’s stuck to bathroom goo. If not, you have a low CFM fan. Replace it with a high CFM fan or find a different solution.

Do not reverse the direction of the fan unless you know where the ducting is. Many fans around here go into or through the attic. You do not want to be pulling air loaded with fiberglass particles into your airspace, or sticking to the buds you’ll be smoking at some point.

2 Likes