Big leaves Small plant

They’re about 6 weeks old by now. The fans are getting so big and they’re blocking all the lower branches and growth. I feel that it would be growing faster if the leaves were not blocking so much. Is it a bad idea to remove them? Should I wait longer?

4 Likes

Your plants look very nice…

Many folks start removing leaves very early in the grow. I tend to leave them until late in veg or early flower and then only remove a few here and there.

As you gain experience and confidence you will figure out what growing techniques that you wish to adopt for your own.

4 Likes

I second that. I don’t defoliate either until Early flower. There are no bud sites being shaded yet. If I had a leafy monster holding humidity that’s another story. But I would still wait till those plants grew another vertical tier of foliage. In my humble opinion. :blush:

4 Likes

At this stage the plants will benefit more from having the big fan leaves as they work like solar panels . I would wait a little longer till they have more sets then remove the ones that are causing blockage

If it is really bothering you that much i would just tuck the leaves under the other branches so they are still attached but under the lower branches

4 Likes

Just for reference, here is a photo of my current grow at 7 week old.

I don’t remember is I had removed any leaves yet but probably not.

Here it is today four days after flipping to flower.

At this point in the grow, I remove a few leaves each day and remove all new growth below the screen.

3 Likes

I would do some lst training and open up the canopy do leaf tucking i wouldnt prune yet

3 Likes

sometimes the more you mess with it the slower the grow … sometimes if i want to experiment il just mess with one and see how it goes … but i do agree with @Aussie_autos i would second that … depending of your goals i might consider topping at some point but id leave the leaves till right before i flip leaves can tell you if something is happening

Those look GREAT. Bet the branches are nice and thick. She will stretch out of that massive solar collecter stage.

2 Likes

I tucked them as much as I could and did some LST. They’re looking good but noticed some white spots on the one when I opened the tent :frowning:

1 Like

In your first pic looked wet when the lights where on I wouldn’t worry to much but I’ve only been growing for a minute

1 Like

I thought it might have been the water droplets on it. I cleaned them off, hopefully that’s all it was.

1 Like