Best Way To Water Outdoor Plants?

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

"Watering outdoors with new plants created question and I am getting different responses from growers in my area. (?) What is the best way to water outdoor plants in a 3/5 ft wide grow circle? One guy believes in the trench method around the perimeter, another guy says to water the total surface keeping the root ball moist. "

1 Like

Whether in containers or in the ground, when one waters an established plant, water thoroughly and deeply all around the plant. Overwatering becomes a problem if you water too often or have poor drainage, so let the plant’s root system develop, and take the water holding characteristics of soil in mind, the weather, and size of container. Larger pots need less frequent watering, i prefer at least 30 gallon containers, “…more roots equals more fruits…” Water every 4 to 7 days for established plants as needed, if it gets over 100 degrees for several days water a couple extra times, though with smaller amounts. Seedlings need small amounts of water more often right around the plant until they get solid.

4 Likes