Best way to collect runoff to test PH and TDS?

Yes, but don’t go any lower than 6.0. Water to a little more runoff than normal. If it doesn’t start getting a little closer after a few waterings you can flush to bring back, but try a few heavy waterings as needed first.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 my runoff tested at 5.7 and somebody (can’t remember who) told me to try watering with 7.3 PH. Does that sound about right to you? Thanks.

It was also my first watering to runoff.

1 Like

Sure. What are you growing in?

FF Ocean Forest with about 25% added perlite in a 5 gal Smart Pot on a riser.

2 Likes

Fox farms always all over the place in my experience. You can get a small bag of fine dolomite lime and sprinkle a couple of tablespoons on top. Then just kinda lightly work it into top of pot a little. It will help buffer ph more towards neutral. You just have to be careful not to use too much without getting it mixed in a little, can eventually get hard and crusty at top of pot.

1 Like

Thanks @dbrn32. Gave her a few heavy waterings @6.1 and the soil kinda leveled out. I also potted her without pre-rinsing the soil. I read something about that somewhere but didn’t wanna mess with it since I’m new

1 Like

I bought a grill grate, 20" diameter, then set it on top of a cat litter box ( not in use ! ) and set my fabrics on top of grate to water. Ive just been tipping the litter box to one corner and testing from there. Is it ok to test in plastic @Not2SureYet @Hellraiser @Covertgrower @latewood

3 Likes

Yes, my trays are all plastic as well :grin: Old refrigerator shelves work great for plant trays too

2 Likes

Sure as long as it’s clean.

2 Likes

Anything you can fabricate that works for you, osunds good to me.

2 Likes