Best time for schwazzing?

Hey guys still new and just experienced my first harvest with some airy buds. Im trying to prevent this and did some research on schwazzing. I am about 4 weeks into flower and my photos are just getting red hairs. See screenshots. Is this a good time for schwazzing? Im still about 5 weeks from harvest at the most and im not sure when to start trimming fan leaves now or when im closer.

1 Like

I think i heard something similar from @neofirebird ā€¦ sorry if im wrong lol but have anythoughts?

Hey! Donā€™t know about timing limits for schwazzing, but your baby looks pretty nice.

1 Like

I do believe I would take some of the fan leaves off. Just donā€™t get snip happy and do too much at once.

1 Like

You are supposed to do it right at the switch to 12/12 then again 3 week later

3 Likes

Thanks and yup i only snipped only a few of the giant fan leaves for now but definitely doing all of them soon. As a first time grower it seems risky for me but seeing people do it and seeing the results definitely seems to be a good idea lol

1 Like

Ah so i should get started. Isnt it trimming all the leaves until almost naked though? Im guessing its best to remove anyleaves that do not have many trichomes on it

I only take what is blocking buds below them. Fan leaves are like solar panels. They turn light energy into sugars. But I know others who pretty much cut them all. Oh yeah, ā€˜come on down to South Parkā€™.

2 Likes

I think thats what im probably going to do. Cut all of the one that are in the way clearly and maybe two weeks before harvest clean most of it. Come on down to Tegrity Farms indeed .

1 Like

:wink: ā€œwanna get a little high?ā€

1 Like

Donā€™t defoliated too much at once bro. You can take more later or next day but if you go too far you canā€™t put them back on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :grin:

1 Like

Yeah thats what i was afraid of so im doing it little by little lol. Thats why i tagged you haha. For now at least the biggest of fan leaves that are shading the buds forming from under

1 Like

Never heard of schwazzing Iā€™m gonna look it up brb

Well it turns out i have been ā€œschwazzing for yearsā€ I just called it lst and a heavy defol

just a funny name for a couple of different techniques

2 Likes

Haha . Wow yours look pretty bare do you cut them all at once?

1 Like

Naw periodically throughout ā€¦ if you take too much at once u will shock her

1 Like

You are currently trying to cure loose and airy flower. Removing leaves when you already identified insufficient light will leave you even more in trouble IMO. Leaves are the receptors for the light and convert that light (along with water and air and salts) into sugars that the plant uses to build flower.

Indoor growers with high light levels can get away with more aggressive training techniques. I would suggest you not remove more than a few fans as they yellow until light levels are higher in your grow space.

FWIW I run high efficacy lights and do a minimum of leaf removal throughout the grow. I also get exceptional yields from my plants.

3 Likes

Oh didnt see this there. As you know my autos were the ā€œairyā€ ones. But these are the photos (chronic widows)ā€¦ very tall i must sayā€¦ one is even 6ft tall!! Anyway to clarify, these are the ones i am referring to defoliating. You are indeed correct of course as the airy yeild was the result of my autos being to far from the light. Since autos are like ticking time bombsā€¦ it was too late to get them denseā€¦ however, these photos you see in the screenshot still have a chance. As its early and the buds are even more dense already! So i think its safe to say light was an issue and these shouldnt be fluffy as these are taking off well and already in better shape than my autos you seen on another post. Just trying to defoliate a little but im excited when this batch gets ready. Heck, im excited to just revamp my setup after harvest and start on another new grow lol

3 Likes

It is fun if you have a mechanical bent. That and the zen of the plants haha. Iā€™m right in the sweet spot of flower: stacking buds and getting very stinky. I can visibly see a difference from day to day.

2 Likes

Haha the zen of plants is amazing. Ive noticed the smell for me as well. I turned off the exhaust fan that is connected to the carbon filter not too long ago thinking its not needed all the time but without it i smelled my plants in the room next door. But man the smell in jars is another thingā€¦

4 Likes