Best soil to use for a 5 gallon grow bag

Hey folks,

What are some suggestions on soil to use for a 5 gallon grow bag? I want to delve into Hydroponics but until I earn my wings (I am a newbie), I am sticking with soil. With that said, I would like the best soil possible. Thanks :slight_smile: !!

Coco coir is a good way to get your feet wet with hydroponics but with the soil “feel” I’m on my first ever grow and chose coco w/ perlite and I love it.

2 Likes

I use the fox farms ocean forest product, i grow soil only… really good product. Just don’t start your plants out in it, use this soil when plant gets its roots established then transplant into the Fox Farm soil…soil may be too hot for :seedling: seedlings

3 Likes

@Zombo - I have heard the product name before and assumed it was media for growing hydroponically. I will look for it! I have one plant going now using the best Miracle Grow potting soil I could find … Not sure that was the correct route but honestly, I never thought this “rogue” seed I found would even grow into anything … Thanks for the advice. Have a safe weekend.

1 Like

@Watt-Sun - I can mix Coco Coir with potting soil to enhance the water retention, correct?? I am new at this but extremely eager to learn …

2 Likes

I have heard of others mixing it but I’m not sure as to the reason why. It’s either to help with retention or drainage I’m not sure. I use 50/50 coco and perlite.

2 Likes

Yes, you can do that. I mix FFOF with coco and perlite to lighten it up a bit. It works great.

6 Likes

@raustin - Thanks for helping me out with all of this!

3 Likes

No problem, just tag me if you need more help. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Fox farms is soil, thought that’s how you said you would start, may have misread… miracle grow has time release muted and most everyone doesn’t use it but good luck… I have used a miracle grow seed starter mix which is very low in NPK @Poseidon… hope you have an awesome weekend

It’s really hard to beat fox farm soil…I’m @Poseidon…it had a lot of great added nuted already in it, some like promix without the added nutes so they can have more control over what the plants get. It’s a preference of sorts, I have used miracle grow with success but don’t anymore…I love fox farms…

6 Likes

Thanks a lot !!

1 Like

I have used fox farm happy frog , and ocean forest
This last grow I used roots organics soil and prefer it over fox farm
Cannot go wrong with any of them
Happy growing and keep us posted on how it goes

4 Likes

just sprouted a seedling in jiffy pellets then put in a solo cup with ffof, the seedling will not use it until it establishes a root system. but do not put seedling in it right away, i did and got nute burn on my pineapple haze.

2 Likes

I mixed in about 25% perlite into my Fox Farms Ocean Forest to aid in drainage. I also added some Dolomite Lime to stabilize Ph. The mix worked great and I didn’t need to add any nutrients until late in veg.

I’m currently using Kind Soil with Promix Bx. The Kind Soil is pricey but it’s also a water only grow. No nutrients needed. I’m flipping to flower this weekend and have experienced 0 issues so far.

5 Likes

If you are using a potting mix, i wouldnt add coir. It already has sphagnum moss, forrest stuff ect. Im thinking youve got natures care by miracle grow. Id just add worm castings, bat guano something like that.

3 Likes

Okay my 2 pennies worth . I use fox farms ocean and have had good results it already has perlite in it but I mix in about 4 extra cups in a 5 gallon fabric pot and for me ( since I only grow indoors )
Never use fox farms soil with out mixing in some food grade Diatomaceous Earth . Ffof has a knat issue and once I am convinced it had spider mites so before it even goes in the house I dump it in a giant black garbage bag with the extras mix well and flatten it out on the asphault to help bake it and kill critters larva and eggs . Unfortunately this also kills good bacteria so I have to add some cheap Micronesia back like Mykos . Good luck and this all sounds like a lot but is not that bad and well worth the little extra at the start

4 Likes

Have to check out the kind soil @SilentHippie

1 Like

Great advice!! I am learning so much - trying to soak it all in. I keep swinging back-and-forth about trying my hand at hydro or 5 gallon grow bag with awesome soil … This first plant is a test … I think hydro is over my head … probably need to get a couple of crops under my belt and learn some more … Thanks for you help. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

Awesome advice !!! Thanks a lot!!

1 Like