Best soil to start my WWA seeds in

Don’t kill the spiders they will kill the insects that eat your plants. They eat other insects not plants. That soil looks really wet to me which is not good at all for new cannabis seedlings

1 Like

There are many insects that love to chomp on plants and cannabis is one of them. What did the plant that was affected look like…any pics? Pictures are always helpful to determine causes. In terms of the soil being too wet, you can have root rot issues, etc, but the plant top being removed certainly isn’t over watering. Oh. wait I see the seedling without the top. That most definitely is not a spider.

Take a look at this article Cutworms: How to Protect Seedlings from Cutworms | The Old Farmer's Almanac

They have suggestions in the article that might be helpful. I have experienced cutworms getting my pepper seedlings before, and used a wooden toothpick placed into the soil directly next too the seedling stem touching it. The cutworm can not get its mouth around and through the toothpick and stem of the seedling. To conclude, I am not saying that this is the issue, but sure looks like the suspicious work of one of these little bastards. My suggestion is also to maybe get some white row cover to drape over the plants like a canopy, so that if it rains, your seedlings are not getting pounded.

Just tried Rapid Rooter and seems to be workin well. Before this, and for years used Jiffy Peat Pellets which always did well. As for soil, Happy Frog Forrest works great but I add worm castings which is like a kick in the ass to the growing and flowering periods. GLTY.

@ladcad welcome to group!!! I too add worm castings to my fox farm! A little bat guano too!

Ah-hee, my grows are outside, and I also use an Earth Box for all my growing as well. Very simple, cannot over water. I do a mix of 75% Ocean Forest and 25% worm castings. Bingo.

1 Like

well, we all have our little way of doing things dont we?
Myself, I like to keep shit stupid simple. The seed has all the food it needs in its cotyledons to take it to the second set of true leaves, typically the 3 fingered variety. Therefore, I see little reason to mess with that! Moving right along… peat and perlite are fairly inert and yet seem to provide a good home for a seed. I squish some pre moistened peaty material into a 2 inch plastic nursery pot until its packed pretty firm. I poke a 1/2 hole in that and throw my seed into that hole. I cover the hole and squirt on it with my squirt bottle of water mixed with a light dose of seaweed and kelp with humic acid. That seed will grow until the roots are bustin out the bottom. Time to pot this puppy up to a 6 incher filled this time with super soil cut with promix approx 1:4 promix being the 4 seems to be just ducky. That will run until root bound abd then I pot up again into a 3 gallon, same soil. Then they go into outdoor organic soil and BAM! In your face! Time to get a grow on!

And all that with not 1 drop of liquid nutes other than kelp and seaweed extract

1 Like

You see in my mind, Ive done Kratky, liquid hydro, coco, promix etc. Bottled nutes and all that, yeah it works and it can work super good! Its a lot of work, very time consuming. I have a small business, wife, kids, dog, 2 cats… you get the picture. Time is in short supply, yet I want to grow my herb and not have to pay for it. I also want to exercise my legal right to grow! Since I can only legally grow 4 plants I elect to grow big assed mutha funkin plants! When it comes to growin big healthy herb you cant beat organics, its just too easy, everything is already in the soil, just add clean water, sun and ventilation. Watch em grow!

Yeah @Covertgrower I coulda told you all that dope you grew was grown wrong! What were you thinking? Thats just irresponsible behavior. Im going to report you to somebody, not sure who? But somebody! Your in shit buddy! Never again! Do you hear me?!!!

3 Likes

High,
I must be doing things all wrong. I used Burpee Seed Starting mix in Red Solo cups, sprouted April 08-12. Put in Mother Earth May 15, in Michigan. Water daily and topped, Fimmed and pruned. Here is the result as of 07/14/202

4 Likes

Blueberry, strawberry cough, blackberry Kush and Maui.

They are killing it! I was being sarcastic. There is no best way, there are many ways to be successful. Your plants are going to stretch way over that fence, you do know that right? They havent even started to flower yet.

1 Like

I know. I am in a quandary…I will be tying them down. Or any other ideas?

I was too. No intention to be rude at all. Kinda proud of my girls and how I’ve learned from reading in here and trying different things. I do use molasses and a vegetable fertilizer and manure from cows and pigs in the fall so I do kinda amend the ground a bit. It is working so I am not gonna change yet!
I really need to learn how to control the height of my plants. Over the fence is not acceptable.
I do spend a lot of time weeding, watering and talking to them and it is a great hobby. Lots of fun
Ger

What I recommend is to place a back stay on the lower 1/3 of the mainstem, anchor it to the ground. Place another stake in the ground the direction you want to pull the top down. Begin pulling the top a little each day. Pinch the branches to keep well below the fence and tie them down too. Bending behaves the same as pinching so there is no need to pinch the top in this example, but to slow the upward progression and to create more bud sites you can pinch all the tips at the highest ponts and bend em down. That doubles the bud sites and keeps the plants below the radar.

Very good Thank You…I did start tying them yesterday. I have anchored them to the opposite tomato cages!

1 Like

I am going to try to find some steaks too. All Home Depot type stores sold out around me. Looks like I gotta use what I got Thanks I appreciate your help
Ger

1 Like

Use anything even masonry blocks, they arent huge trees, just anything that will counter them from falling in a wind gust.

Got it thanks
Hey any ideas on “bud boosters?” I cannot find the Earth Juice I used last year.

Kelp and seaweed extract, a great start. Also humic acid scratched into the soil or mixed into water is a great orfanic ammendment.
Obviously theres bone meal and such but many of them take more time than your plant has to break down.
So on your next grow be proactive and add the meals to your soil and let it cook a month or so before planting.

Thanks I will do that next summer for sure. But I do use manure and other stuff after the harvest so I do amend my soil I guess.