Best soil to start my WWA seeds in

I have always started my seeds in a seed bed outdoors. I have had good Luck with it. But it does stunt the plant for a little bit. This is my first time fooling with Auto flowering seeds. But I have heard from you guys that a auto has a small window of vegetation stage and can’t afford to stunt them any. So I want to start them in a container where I can cut the container off of the plant without damaging the roots. I was wanting to get your guy’s opinion on what kind of soil I need and type of container is the best.

Fox farms happy frog or ocean forest are great to start in.

5 Likes

Okay, Thank you. Do you have any other advice about growing auto flowers? It is my first time growing them. I’m actually expecting my White Widow Auto seeds delivered this Tuesday. I can’t wait to get them in the dirt!!

1 Like

I just dropped to my knees now , for me as an out door Guerilla grower , my soil comes from my family and compost from our garden , just years of compact of waste of natural vegetables , leaves , from our garden and other very natural organic materials that I collect from ponds etc…
I grab Everything I can for my first planting and of course am very natural from there

Just feed the right nutrients, and not too much, don’t over water.

1 Like

Germinate the seeds in water with up to 20% hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide improves and speeds germination rate.
Use a good seed starter. Fox farm happy frog is a good choice.
To avoid shock / stunting plant germinated seed directly into final destination or I put them in a peat pot (cow pot is another good option) filled with good seed starter mix. After a week or two, plant entire pot in final destination. Using this interim step allows you control environment during their vulnerable seedling stage.

2 Likes

I will agree with the other fellas. I had good luck starting my sprouts in dixie cups with happy frog. I mixed 2 parts happy frog with one part ocean forest for my first transplant and they are looking damn good.

1 Like

Just started my GSCookies in a natural compost

[quote=“Hillbilly420, post:3, topic:46045”]
Okay , I appreciate !

Does the peat pot break down good over time where it won’t choke the roots? I have used other biodegradable pots on photos and at the end of the season I would pull the stalk and sometimes the biodegradable pot would still be intact. But I have never used the peat pot.

yes. when I check the root ball I have never noticed them

1 Like

Light warrior from fox farm

1 Like

I got the Happy Frog potting soil and the ocean forest today. I just got done putting my 20 White Widow Autos in a glass of water and as soon as they sprout I’m going to start them in peat pots. I have never used the two soils I mentioned.I noticed both soils has natural fertilizer in them. The ocean forest looks like it has more fertilizer of the two . Would the ocean forest burn a seed up with the fertilizer it has in it? Or is it okay to use it to start seeds.

@Covertgrower… not for an Auto, FFOF is way too hot of a soil

2 Likes

I would not start seeds in ocean forest, just a simple pro-mix or organic potting soil will work fine. I use Ocean Forest for my photo period outdoor grows and its awesome, but really too hot for autos. If you go onto royalqueenseeds.com and look for their auto-flower recipe you will find success. I have used it and had great luck, and its simple: 3 parts peat, 3 parts compost, 2 parts perlite, 1 part vermiculite. I may have the perlite and vermiculite wrong, but thats why you should go check it out. You want to avoid transplanting your autos, and with this recipe I start and finish them in 3 gallon containers, no transplanting. I find anything bigger than a 3 gallon for autos is a waste of soil.

3 Likes

My seedlings have all survived. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

They may have survived and thats great, but seeds need very little in the beginning stages of life. A seed actually contains some essential nutrients to start its life. FFOF is a great soil, but not what you would preferably want to start your seeds in. Its hot with the manure and guano and that can really stunt a seedling. Think of a seedling as a baby, and that baby’s intake of nutrients and food is nowhere near what the requirements are of a grown adult. I am super glad your seeds survived, but from all of my experience and soil science background I stay away from those hot soils until later in growth, and definitely tone them down for autos.

1 Like

5 years and countless grow cycles, I’ve been doing it all wrong. :thinking:

2 Likes

I started my auto’s in 2/3 happy frog and 1/3 ocean forest and their doing ok. But I was a little bit worried about it.

Turned out I was worried for nothing. But I went and checked on them this morning and I lost another WWA . I lost 5 the other day and I killed a spider near by thinking it was biting the top off to suck sap. What else could it be?