Best soil for grow dots?

Good to know and thank you, I’m running autos so hopefullt they will complete the grow. I may try top dressing a little build a flower mid way through and see if that helps it carry through.

I haven’t had that problem with my autoflowers.
What problems do you encounter mid-flower? Are they photos?

That’s been my experience.

1 Like

Yeah, photos. The grow dots tend to run out of juice toward mid flower. Need to supplement after about 4-6 weeks of flower depending on veg time.

1 Like

I have procured myself a 1.5 cf bag of roots organic original soil and the seed is just starting to throw a tail in the solo cup. Should I go ahead and mix the dots in the soil in the final pot and wait till it’s transplant time or just be patient and wait till It’s ready for transplant then mix the dots in the soil in the final pot? I’m thinking since the dots are moisture activated and I have 10 days in the solo cup I should just wait to do the whole mix soil thing. Any thoughts?

1 Like

I don’t think it matters too much. I’ve mixed the dots and soil early on, but this time (I’m germinating a seed now) I’m going to wait at least until the seedling pops, which I’m thinking is the better way to go for the reason you stated.

Ah, OK, that makes sense then since your plants are photoperiods. I only do autoflowers and haven’t encountered any problems like that. I’m guessing that the dots are better if photo veg times are relatively short (for photos), since the dots are programmed to last only up to 16 weeks.

1 Like

So so far I’m hearing what I am liking about these grow dots. For the most part stir then in and forget it for the most part. Am I following this correctly. The reason I am asking you is because I’m about to start some photos once I get my tent up and going again here soon.

1 Like

Hey people, I’ve used Grow Dots once before, mixed with Promix HP. Three teaspoons per gallon. Worked fine. I want to try Grow Dots in Happy Frog on Auto Strawberry Gorillas soon. I know Happy Frog already has some nutrients, so how much of the Grow Dots would you recommend mixing into the soil… 2 teaspoons per gallon?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Yeah, that would be my recommendation and is what I’m doing now. I use Roots Organics Original soil, which also has some nutes in it. I had used a heavier Grow Dots rate on my first several Grow Dots plants that ended up getting some Nitrogen overload, but were fine.

On my last two plants (autos, I only do autos), I experimented by using the Medium rate (2 teaspoons per gallon) and had much better results, i.e. no Nitrogen overload signs, only a tad bit of “painted nails”. I’m also using the Medium rate on my current plant, she’s only 12 days old.

That being said, if the breeder for your Strawberry Gorillas indicate that it’s a heavy feeder, then maybe you want to use the Heavy rate (3 teaspoons per gallon), or in between, i.e. 2.5 teaspoons per gallon, which is what I used on most of my plants and wasn’t sure how much Dots to give them. But, most of those plants had some Nitrogen overload that I mentioned earlier.