Best "Munchies" (How to make awesome food 'stuffs')

I realized a long time ago that if I had no idea how to cook - I’d be reliant on others and my limited wallet to have really good food…

I first learned how to cook from my late mother, who taught me to make tea when I was 2 years old (we had mint plants growing outside the kitchen door)

Since then, I have gone way beyond where I started, and I wanted to make a thread here about favorite recipes for good chow…

To make a PIZZA is a simple thing if you know how. The key is knowing how to PRE-Bake a crust for it, the essential bread on which the PIZZA is built, and here is the simplest and best way:

First I will point you at a video about making French Bread. I DO NOT agree with the recipe there, because i go with 3 cups of flour, to 1 and a bit extra cups of water, plus the yeast and whatever spices you want to add to the dry flour as the yeast proves itself in the wet part

*You can add dill seed or other spices to the dry flour before you mix it all up

Having seen that video - THAT is what I make a pizza crust with, by rolling it out flat!

And what I go with is heating the oven to 325 f. (quite what that is in C I leave to you to figure out) but what I also will do is to let it rise BETWEEN two pizza trays - on is used to cover the other so that the dough cannot dry out. I bake it the same way

Another tip is to pre-heat the oven to it’s lowest temp, 170F. or whatever, and let the dough rise between the pans until it starts to lift the top pan up

The final step is to bake the pizza crust(s) at 325 F. for twenty five minutes, and let it cool off in there - check it to see if it is browning nicely

What you will have is a pizza BODY that can in the space of minutes be topped with anything you like…

I have observed that Pizza Shops spread a very thin layer of tomato paste on their crusts (which ARE pre-baked) but what I will suggest to you is that you use tomato in other forms.

I like to drain a can of diced tomato and green chilies into a cup (the juice from that is a wonderful drink) and use that instead of a paste.

It also gives you several toppings all at once:
Tomato
Peppers
Onions
Garlic & Spices

On top of that pile whatever you want - it is a good opportunity to clear out leftovers from your fridge, ain’t it?

On top of it all, scatter your favorite shredded cheese, which need not be Mozzarella

~The next one I make I will share a picture of

But by PRE-BAKING the crust, and a crust of your own choice, but essentially French Bread - you have what you need to make a Pizza that no take away or Domino’s can match!

and you can use any flour you like, including Rye or Pumpernickel

1 Like

Basic French Bread Dough:

3 cups flour
1 Cup water + 1/4 cup
(remember those proportions)

Yeast
A spoon of sugar to get the yeast going
Salt
Your choice of spices, it can be any flavor you want

*To keep dough from sticking to your fingers, dust your hands with dry flour

ALWAYS remember that the greatest Italian food was made by PEASANTS for their own survival, that is where PIZZA came from, and spaghetti too

If you know how they did it - there is no reason YOU TOO cannot afford to have it all the time! And in fact - when I run out of money at the end of a month (I live on a retirement stipend)

I EAT PIZZA!!!

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @FrikkinFrank!

I usually make two or three pizza crusts at a time, so I can wip them out and make one

:ok_hand:

Got some info on great munchies?

Share it with us!!!

1 Like

1 Like

One of my favorite YouTube cooking channels is from a true French Chef -
Jean Pierre is not only eloquent, but amusing and entertaining!

Here is a video on ‘Beef Stroganoff’ that gave me clues I never thought of before:

1 Like

I had intended this thread to be contributed to by many - I’m not sure what it means that I seem to have taken the lead and put so many many videos on here. Maybe I have become the unofficial ILGM DJ in some fashion, given that I have such an eclectic musical interest(s)

But feel free to join in by all means! I would love to hear some choice music from the Netherlands and other places around the world…

For decades I have been fascinated with the North American Southwest. If you have seen pictures and videos of New Mexico, Nevada, and Arizona - there is something deeply enchanting about the place itself, even though many native people there exist at a poverty level there is a rich heritage and community spirit there that embodies many spiritual ideas. Native american mythology and stories are very different from elsewhere around the planet and Carlos Nakai seems to capture much of that with a simple wooden flute…

Smoke a few tokes, and sit back for an interesting ride

@FrikkinFrank, I’m loving it. My wife is French, been in the US for 6 years. I’m going to watch Jean Pierre with her.

We don’t have any recipes to share. My wife finds whatever food needs to be eaten, then combines that into a one off meal. We never eat anything that was made before, unless she makes the classics.

Our latest obsession is taking a hot meal and placing on a bed of fresh baby spinach, Arugula, Swiss chard, etc.

We had turkey chili on a bed of baby spinach last night, excellent.

I have worked at many pizza places. Only the crappy ones prebake their crusts. Sorry to pop your bubble, there. :grinning:
Also, freshly made pizza should be cooked in a super hot oven, 425F or so,
even hotter. This helps with the crust properly rising and cooking.

The best temp for raising dough is about 90F.

A few tricks to making the best pizza dough is to use very high gluten flour, don’t over knead your dough, and make sure you let it rise properly.

If you have any questions about bread making, let me know. I am a chef and bread baker by profession.

Homemade “munchies” at my house:

2 Likes

Pizza dough is quite like French bread, except pizza dough requires oil/olive oil added to the dough, about 2 tbsp. Try a side by side comparison of crust made with and without oil. The difference is night and day.

Nice @blackthumbbetty!

What’s your pizza dough recipe?

1 Like

2 Likes

Pizza dough: makes 2 12" pizzas, or 1 large and 1 small

-3.5 cups unbleached all purpose flour (plus a half cup for dusting/hands)
-2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
-1⅓ cup warm h20 (about 110F)
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1 tbsp sugar
-2 tsp salt
-2½ tsp active dry yeast

Whisk flour, gluten, salt and sugar together. Then, whisk in yeast. Add water and oil, & mix til combined. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead for 6-10 minutes, til the dough is soft, smooth, and elastic. Place in oiled bowl, cover, then put into warm, dark place for 60-90 mins, until doubled in size.

Once risen, remove from bowl, cut dough into 2 pieces, and stretch out your crusts; I toss it, myself, but I don’t look down on using a rolling pin. Allow formed crusts to rest for 10-20 minutes before adding toppings.

At home, to cook, I pre-heat my oven to 425F, Convection. I keep a stone in my oven to help evenly distribute heat. The pizzas go in for 12-16 minutes. They’re done when the crust is golden and fully risen, and the cheese is toasted and bubbly.

1 Like

Sweet! Thank you

1 Like

You want your dough to be slightly tacky to touch. Not sticky, though. If your dough is too dry, your crust will be just as dry.

So, tacky, but not sticky, wet dough. Think the difference between syrup and the sticky bit on post-its. Pizza dough should be tacky like a post it.

1 Like

These are gorgeous! You have amazing talent! @blackthumbbetty and now I’m hungry haha

1 Like