Best Lights, 4X8

Its 30 x 16

1 Like

It seems that way. There is a market for them though. I remember a time when 4 288 boards was recommended for 4x4 and people were running 8-10 at half power.

1 Like

Scorpion is more then the x6 600 kit

1 Like

How tall is your space?

1 Like

How tall is your space?<<<

Itā€™s a regular wall height (about 7-8 ft) room on the outside edges, but itā€™s peaked in the middle pretty high, at probably 12-13 ft?

Itā€™s a just a regular un-used upstairs bedroom, (maybe 12X12) with nothing in it (but some junk that I need to remove first). Thereā€™s a big ceiling fan, and it has two regular sized windows.

Itā€™s a fair amount of space to control, Iā€™d imagine, temp and humidity-wise. But Iā€™d love to use the whole room instead of a tent, if thatā€™s even doable.

Not worried about ā€œsmell,ā€ or carbon filters, as I live in the middle of the woods. Lol.

There are plenty of outlets in the roomā€¦ (the electrician sort of overdid it on outlets in this house) and I believe the entire upstairs (just the one room and an extra loft room, so two rooms total, upstairs) are on the same breaker.

Isnā€™t it something like 1800 watts recommended for that many plants? Yeahā€¦ that may an issue, I just donā€™t know. I could ask the guy who did it and see what he thinks, I suppose, though Iā€™d like to not really ā€œadvertiseā€ what Iā€™m doing in there.

Iā€™m guessing it would only be the 12 plants that need any real powerful light, though, as I could do the seedlings in the closet, or a different room, with my shoplightā€¦ and just keep the 6 veg and 6 flowering plants under the big lights, dedicating that space to them.

I think I could regulate what needs to be ideal conditions in there with the right equipment, but hanging the lights from ceilings that high is going to be my challenge.

I keep getting the advice to start ā€œsmall,ā€ but if Iā€™m going to do this, I feel like I may as well get prepared for what Iā€™m ultimately going to do.

Find the joist in the ceiling and eye hook to them

Muzata 316 Stainless Steel Eye Shape Screws, Heavy Duty Screw Eyes for Metal Hook, Wood Terminal Ring Eyelet Hooks, Hammock Stand, Self Tapping Screws, 3.5 Inches M6 Eye Bolt 20 Pack, CR18 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NVBWR8L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8TS3BEKP4Y9X0YENV6F0

1 Like

Sweet.

Okay, thank you.

So Iā€™m looking at at least four of these kinds of lights, at about $400 apiece, and thatā€™s if I build them?

For the 320 yes, for the 260 if you build 3 itā€™s 220-230/each.

6 hlg 260ā€™s - 1200-1300 coverage 2x4 250 watts

• 31.25 watts/sq ft @ 1.25 watts/ $1

4 hlg 320ā€™s - 1500-1600. Coverage 2x4 300 watts

• 40watts/sq ft .80 watts$1

1 hlg 600 - 800 coverage 5ā€™x5ā€™ 600 watts

• 24 watts/sq ft 0.75 watts/$1

As you can see here with the 260ā€™s your getting more wattage for less overall cost.

But with the 320 youā€™d pull more per sq foot.

Watts shouldnā€™t be the determining factor but when your comparing the same product it does make sense

2 Likes

Well hereā€™s what Iā€™ve got to work with:

The room, on second glance, looks like itā€™s about 12X12ā€™. The ceilings are 8ā€™ high, peaked, up to about 12ā€™.

Hereā€™s a picture of the roomā€™s ceiling, and a couple of pics of my homeā€™

s electric panel. I could use the power from the ā€œupstairs bedroom,ā€ and maybe also from the ā€œart room,ā€ if needed.

You got some empty space there if needed,

Vaulted ceilings thoā€¦ F

Yeahā€¦

Hmmmmmm.

Sucks but can still be done the same way, unless you want to run your own stringers and anchor them to the top of the walls.

Isnā€™t too bad but not the most cost efficient way of getting it done.

Eye hooks and crazy long hangers?

1 Like

Really Iā€™d get lumber and frame out a new ceiling.
Youā€™ll need a board lagged in on the wall of either end of shortest length of room.

Facia board ā†’ joist ā†’ facia board

Length of the space your traveling will determine size of lumber needed to hold weight over that distance

Put some nice drapes in the window and then close it off on the interior. A piece of drywall / insulation board or plywood would work. Just make sure you seal or tape that off so it is light tight.

1 Like

Yepā€¦ I figured Iā€™d have to block out the windows somehowā€¦

So are we talking just adding some beam-type structures on the sides of the walls to hang the lights/etc. from? You donā€™t mean close off the entire ceiling, right?

1 Like

Exactly right , and youā€™d only add the beams you would need over the area your growing in.

Each beam would need braces to hold it to the 2x8 or whatever you use to hold the boards onto.

1 Like