Best lighting setup for a 4x8 grow tent

Yes I’m sure a superior panel ould be built for the same money, but then again they have put a considerable amount of research and development into their lighting systems that you don’t need to do. My thing is that making my own system would be as rewarding as growing a crop with them afterwards!
The other not so attractive thing is Fluence is from the USA and I am Canadian, so after the devalued dollar and duties/ taxes that fixture was $1600 bucks! If I remember correctly? You could build a few pretty nice panels for that same money!

2 Likes

I hanging a Spider farmer SF4000 in my 4x4 tent. The SF4000 is a great light and is a beast in veg and flower

6 Likes

Would you think 2 these would work in a 4x4? Any other suggestions. I want something from start to finish. These are a little more than I wanted to pay but that is the way it always is. Budget was more like $500. Any help appreciated.

1 Like

@jcasey Yes two of those kits will work for a 4x4 tent. That is what I was suggested for my 4x4.

1 Like

I had to remove link, they’re not approved vendor. But yes two of those excellent choice for 4x4.

1 Like

Thanks. They are ordered!

1 Like

I’d like to ask what you would build, if money wasn’t a big deal, for a 4x4 by 8 high room? Like beast mode light fixture?

1 Like

Something replicating the big fluence bioengineering fixture. With maybe 5000k and 660nm.

How much do you think I could build that for?

Maybe in the $700-$800 range. Been a while since I priced anything like that out

That’s in US funds I’m guessing? Or 1100 Canadian ish? If it’s not too much bother could you suggest a main parts list that would be required? Is there a build for it? And where might I source the components from?
I really do like the Spydr but the price e is a bit steep after duty and the dollar hit!

US funds. Take a look at this, 2 drivers worth nearly identical to fluence spydr

1 Like

This fellow has done a few builds as I recall? I’ve seen this before. Maybe that’s the next project then? Thanks for the help.

1 Like

He owns Pacific light concepts, I would say he has done a lot for lighting community.

2 Likes

Hi @dbrn32 - Thanks for the massive amount of information that you’ve given throughout this forum. This video from PL is awesome - super straight forward and easy break down. I just ordered 8 of the PL’s Samsung Photo Boost Strips for my first DIY build and am pretty stoked.

I also realized that this video is from 2018 and although the products seem completely relevant, I wanted to know if you would make any adjustments to the list. I know from this forum that LED technology is rapidly advancing and want to make sure that I am doing the best build possible.

My other question is about the Mean well HLG-320H-C1400B driver recommended. I am just going to build two of these for a 4x4 area to start with which means I’ll buy two drivers. However, I do want to convert a 10x12 area into a grow room so I am wondering if I would go with 12 of the same drivers (for 12 of the 2x4 set-ups in the video) or if there is a better way for a slightly larger build/room? Apologies, I’ve read a ton of info on this forum about LEDs, volts, watts, etc., but I’m still a little foggy on best practice especially when it comes to my larger 10x12.

Thanks!

1 Like

If I was building I would probably ditch the 80/20 extrusion and substitute with some aluminum angle. Then I would just rivet the heatsinks to the angle. I have bandsaw, drill press, and rivet gun already, so not a big deal and would save a few bucks. For setting up a 10x12 I would take a look at where you will actually have plant canopy. You will likely have some dead floorspace for walkways or whatever and you could probably do good with 8-10 fixtures

Thanks!

1 Like

There aren’t any commercial led grow lights available for 4x8 grow tent. you can use combine multiple led lights which will be totaling to 1200w - 1400W at flowering and 800w -1000w VEGETATION STAG.

Welcome to ILGM forum @mrjoahn

Selecting the right LED grow lights for a 4x8 grow tent is essential for achieving high yields while being mindful of efficiency and cost. Given your budget and desire to maximize results, here’s a concise response:

For a 4x8 grow tent, it’s recommended to use two fixtures designed for 4x4 spaces. This approach ensures even coverage and optimal light distribution. While it’s possible to DIY your lighting setup, you can also consider ready-made options, which provide excellent results and are easier to install. Investing a bit more in quality lighting now can lead to higher yields and better results in the long run, which aligns with your goal of future scalability and potential.