Best light ($200-$300) for a 2x4? The great debate!

@Mr_Wormwood I know how to make bombs. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

HLG 260W QB V2 R Spec LED kit $297 on sale, new updated driver allows dimming, veg foot print 4X4 square, flower 3X3 r 2X4 square. This is a great light, easily assembled n 20 mins. tops. It also incorporates new LM301H diodes, instead of the older LM301B’s, and the new Inventronics Driver that allows for dimming. Mars uses the Meanwell removable Driver, so u can place it outside the tent for heat reasons, n also allows dimming. Check for any additional costs related to the Mars Lights. Good luck I hope u get what ur looking for.

1 Like

At least SOMEONE here does! Sheesh.
Truly though, do you happen to know offhand on a scale of 1 to 10 how terrible of an idea it would be to use some 12 gauge wiring to extend out the length of my Meanwell so I can throw that sucker outside my tent? The default wiring with it appears to be 17 gauge (who even uses 17?) and my gut is torn between “do it” and “don’t light the house on fire.”

2 Likes

My thoughts as well and why am I paying X amount of dollars for something I have to assemble?!?!? I could just spend X amount on something that is plug and play. All the hype, all the ranting and raving just can’t get me past this.

I used 14 gauge solid core wire and had no issues. Get Wago clips.

1 Like

I’ve got some Wagos. I’m just always wary of mixing gauges. If that doesn’t sound like danger zone then I’m on it!

1 Like

Lol. Understandable but I’m doing something stupid beyond the scope of the kit. The kit is 100% worth every penny.

2 Likes

You will have no issues with 14 gauge. Make sure its the solid core tho.

2 Likes

So far only read first post and i agree with the 260xl. If u want more power down the lane u can always get another board and a 3w0 driver and convert to a 320. I thought about getting some b spec boards and adding to the 260xls have a b spec in the center. Will this work @dbrn32 just switch drivers to a 3w0 and add a bspec board

1 Like

I will offer the best reason to get the HLG light and that is service. I purchased 2 of the 260xl kits at about a month apart. When I wasn’t getting the correct wattage out of the driver they rush shipped a replacement driver I got 25 hours after I called them. With the “dude” discount code one of them was $282 delivered to my door. I am quite certain getting something through Amazon would not get rectified so quickly.

4 Likes

What is this “dude” discount?

1 Like

10% off at checkout from their website, it was still working maybe 2 days ago when I ordered a 135 rspec. I think it came to $151?

3 Likes

You would need hlg-320h-c1750 to run three 288 boards, or you could move up to hlg-480h-c2100. Cv driver not an option because they are different types of boards that would be on same driver.

1 Like

That’s the coupon code for checkout pays for a Lil more then tax besides if I, who has no electrical experience can wire it , then literally anyone can , just watch a video and prepare to bruise your thumbs opening those wago connectors lol

3 Likes

I could be wrong, it’s early, 1st cup coffee, 1st bowl…
But I thought the hlg code was dude10

And did y’all see above about the spider farm warranty claims?
Another reason I’m glad @dbrn32 shares knowledge with led virgins

4 Likes

I have seen people use just dude, I think. We’re working on getting something.

The service abilities are often overlooked. Most of the people here that have run into issues with hlg stuff have replacements within a few days. Kind of a big deal if you don’t have a backup light. Even if you do have a backup, who wants to use it for weeks or even months.

2 Likes

You can always mix wire gauge as long as you don’t go SMALLER then recommend. And to be c!ear, I mean physical wire size not number.

1 Like

So, I am setting up a grow room in my house. I need lights for a 5x5 space, I’m getting about 20 seeds and will start with 4. The temp and humidity are fine in the space without any lights or plants but that will change. I need lights, and exhaust, but focusing on lights to start.

Can someone please explain what the heck the above means??? I don’t known if this is a stupid question, maybe I missed the “primer on lights” space on this website but I’m a complete newbie when it comes to grow lighting… any help? Thanks, Bill n NC

1 Like

Just means to run multiple leds ,daisy chained together you would need one particular driver to run them all with one driver, rather than separate drivers

More drivers=more heat

There’s an ongoing issue with the HLG site. The broken side has kind of came to top. Hah. Anyway. These are the 260s. I built mine for about $250 out of pocket. Just bought a different driver instead of these kits and the $185 for just the heatsink with two boards.

Bspec is only for a dedicated veg tent. Otherwise always go rspec. It’s not recommended to flower with bspec. And drivers don’t have to be inside the tent. Mines not on this particular light

2 Likes