Best drying method?

Hi all! I need advice on the best method to dry my buds when the time arises. Should I cut the entire plant and hang upside down? Should I cut each individual stem with a bud and hang? In the past I cut each stem and hung to dry. Just looking for the best way to do this! Any help is truly appreciated!

Gilly

2 Likes

Hey @Gilly. Some people hang the entire plant. Some just the branches. With me doing mostly outdoor I would take all the buds off and screen them.
I just finished a grow where I hung the branches for the first time. It worked well.
I had much less crystal loss due to them not being moved around.
Hope this helps some. I’m sure others will be along before too long. @MattyBear.
@Sixpackdad. @Covertgrower.

2 Likes

Hey @Gilly I harvest each branch, remove the flower
from it. The main cola, depending on size, I leave intact. Usually because it’s so dense, I just don’t want to attempt to take it apart.
I harvest the whole plant all at once.
Others hang the whole plant as SlowOldGuy mentioned, and if done this way, you’ll have to dry trim.

I prefer to wet trim, because as the flower shrinks from moisture loss, the leaves that are trimmed, also shrink past where I cut them, revealing mostly flowers. Makes for a better appearance. Sure not many people will see my flowers, but I like to take that extra pride of what I grew.
Side note, I also use the George Cervantes method, and give them a hydrogen peroxide bath. Removes dust, debris, and various molds.

7 Likes

How do you do the peroxide bath???

I cut the entire plant and hang upside down. Then I try to wet trim and cut off branches to hang and dry individually. Let me snag some pics and show you how I do it :v:

10 Likes

And I use a completely different method. :stuck_out_tongue:

I use a bowl trimmer to trim - and I prefer to do it wet (seems like the trimmer does a better job on fresh bud). Before I used the trimmer, I did it basically the same way as Matty:

With the trimmer, I basically cut each flower cluster off, let the machine do it’s work, and then I put them in a hanging basket in my drying space (which is a grow tent).

8 Likes

@Craig420Daniels

7 Likes

I’m still going to buy one of those trimmers! It’s on my list, but keeps getting pushed aside for other “needs” haha

5 Likes

Sweet drying rack @Bogleg. Wondered about electric trimmers and how they worked. And from those pics… very well.
Nice. :v:

3 Likes

Mine is a manual one. It has a hand crank. 19” variety.

4 Likes

i have done everything form whole plants hung up to trimmed bud in paper sacks,
now i pluck the fan leaves and hang the whole plant in 50-60%% RH,
seems to be the best tasting, at trim time and after curing.!

i agree with Covertgrower, the wet trimmed buds do look better,
but can’t complain about this…

8 Likes

@Covertgrower @Oldguy @Craig420Daniels @MattyBear @Bogleg @SlowOldGuy Very good my friends!!! Don’t know about the Peroxide bath this time but may try it next time! Great information! I love it! You guys are the best!

Gilly

4 Likes

hi, sorry to bother you with a dumb question, but in the first pic from “best drying method” of 2/19, the brown at the top of the bud is good stuff? i’m at my 1st dry and was gong to cut any brown off and toss it. my harvest to date -cut whole plant, rough trim, 3 part wash and shower, hang upside down humidity is avg 53% with in-direct fan, after 2 days, now in brown bag for 3rd day. stems dont snap yet. thank you in advance. cocomm4