Best dirt? Any suggestions?

Ok ty everyone for making me spend money…lol. @JaneQP @MeEasy for just a couple. Sprung for the earth dust. From what i am hearing and reading it will fit my recycle system perfect. I am excited to see how this turns out. Easy peasy lemon squeezy for me. Old and lazy. I read way too many posts. Gonna go broke…lol. Just flushed 8 plants. Got lazy. Ph went up in reservoir and didnt check. Too comfy. Caught them right away. At least the panic stage is long gone replaced with the relax and back to basics fixes.

3 Likes

You have to let me and @MeEasy know what you think! Their company is very responsive to questions.

3 Likes

This is a very subjective topic and some people are really nuts about it. Build A Soil is a great company, you should check them out. It is difficult to argue with the modest opinion of a scientist in the field of crop physiology who has a federal license to study the plant alongside a team of eager students. The main guy you will find on YouTube with this pedigree is Dr. Bruce Bugbee of Utah State University and he has stated, after multiple studies, that the ideal medium for growing cannabis is 50% peat (from canada) 50% vermiculite (preferred to perlite because it contains silica). Peat is very acid, so dolomitic lime is added at 40g/ft³ to balance the pH and supplement cal/mag. Gypsum is added at 10/ft³ for more calcium. That’s what “they” say is best. I think a lot of experienced growers and stoners would look at these scientists and say “what do they know, they aren’t smoking the stuff”

Personally I have no opinions on the topic, because I lack experience, but I think the fun is in experimentation, and I don’t see myself ever using the same medium on the next grow. I am in my first grow right now, using coco with worm castings and some dry amendments, sort of an organic crap shoot. We will see what happens!

1 Like

Points well taken @anon51478927. It’s cousin (hemp/ditch weed) back in my home State loved growing next to sandy creeks with years of decaying plant matter all around.

1 Like

A key thing is the roots need to breathe to grow. I used organic soil the 1st time and had little plants that were not growing. switched to a garden soil & transplanted, missed most of vegative state, so not much yield. Current started with garden soil and much better results.

1 Like