Best dirt? Any suggestions?

Ok the vigaro dirt I think it’s a bust.
I have the earth dust coming, and the 3 gallon smart pots that I’m going to transfer to. But I want to get better dirt.
Suggestions?

These are just too sad and are growing zero. They are about 12 days since sprout.

1 Like

I used that soil before but screened it first to get out the big pieces of wood and added worm casings and perlite as my base soil. I am using Earthdust this grow also.

1 Like

Welcome , a lot of cannabis friendly proven soil on the market Fox farm , roots organic seems to be pretty popular with the members. As far as seedling starter soil I like black gold. Good luck

4 Likes

I used fox farm ocean forest. Dependable and widely available. If you know Farm & Fleet, it carries it.
Happy Frog is also good with less punch. Will need to start feeding a little sooner. Good for seed starting and young transplants.

2 Likes

Coast of Maine’s Stonington soil is great stuff along with their Stonington dry amendments. Top notch.

2 Likes

Roots organics original is my favorite. Doesn’t need any extra perlite, holds ph really well, doesn’t get hydrophobic.

7 Likes

I use composted manure from menards, comes in 50 lb bags for like $3. It has peat in it, I add 20% perlite and 10% vermiculite with 70% composted manure. I transplant into it, then after a couple weeks roots establish and it pulls away from the bag and settles in, I cover it with Promix to refill the bags, and with that top coat it seems to keep te fungus gnats away.

Your “dirt” is essentially a sponge around the roots of your plant. It’s nice but not necessary for it to contain nutrients as long as you understand the nutrients you are feeding to your plant. If you’re not sure then get some dirt than contains what your plants need. Plenty of people grow in water or coco and add every nutrient your plants need to thrive.

I like the fact that I have a low cost nutrient rich medium to grow in, but I was going to give up on soil if I couldn’t solvve the fungus gnat or bud rot issues otherwise.

2 Likes

I’ve got some of ocean forest coming and then I’m going to use the earth dust in it. It’s only needed 3 times during the entire grow. I’m hoping since I’m such an effin idiot I can get that right lol. Thanks for the info though!!! :+1::grin:

4 Likes

Promix hp seems to be the way to go

1 Like

Do u have the time and patience to be able to water atleast once a day everyday in flower twice a day. If so I’d say grab some canna coco and roll with that. If u have any pH or ppm issues it is super easy to flush and fix right away. With soil it is not so easy to flush and fix issues. Canna coco bricks and jacks 321 for the win.

1 Like

What soil did you start with while using earth dust? :blush::v:

@Flitme. I reused my soil from my previous organic grow. The green sunshine co recommends an “an organic potting soil” on their site - just make sure there are no added time release nutrients. I add perlite (20-30%) to provide aeration. I just transplanted some sad teen clones into my cooked soil and looking forward to see how they respond.

Let me tag in @MeEasy since he has been using Earthdust a while and can provide more insight.

Best to you my friend and happy grows!

1 Like

Thanks for the tag Ms @JaneQP , hi @Flitme TGSC recommends a soil on their site I can’t remember which one I use ff happy frog the thing with using a soil like that it already has some nutrients added so you don’t need as much of the Earth Dust I use 2 tbs per gallon, that with new soil after you use it then you go with the recommended amount on the bag I can’t remember how much off the top of my head

3 Likes

Thank You @JaneQP and @MeEasy. I am really wanting to go more organic on my next grow.

2 Likes

I am glad I made the switch!

There are a lot of great ways to grow, but this approach works with the time and energy I have available.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll be using the ocean forest so many people recommended. Hopefully it gets here tomorrow and then I’ll put them in cups for a little while. Thank you for the info!

I haven’t started with the earth dust yet. Hoping I get it and the ocean forest soil tomorrow. They look a little more chipper today but still not well

Gonna be laughed at but i use organic potting soil. I recycle it in a big ol covered tub. Toss in nightcrawlers. By the time i harvest and fill new pots the recycled stuff is awesome. Basic basic nutes. Works very well for me and almost zero work. I just add a touch of N to the mix and roll. Just my 2 cents worth of dirt work. I have so many going at one time…24 right now in differing stages…that i seek easy over techie.

3 Likes

You’ll want to make sure to add perlite to OF. It can really compact on you without the extra perlite.

5 Likes

@BobbyDigital Had that happen. Good call. Added a bunch a while back.

2 Likes