Best cheap soil for a first grow?

@Mikalah314, if I were to use Miracle Grow (and have) for starts I might consider instead using small pots with a mix of that and something like Jiffy starter mix or pure coco coir or maybe even vermiculite. All inexpensive and would do an excellent job of “cooling off” the Miracle Grow.

1 Like

Hey! I was just wondering how can i reply to your post but with pictures. I have 4 somango autoflowering, and its day 60 today, i was wondering if i can send se pics to make sure if all is good or not. Thanks Guys!

1 Like

I want the best sativa seeds available, I’m a newbie, but I know what I like :smiley: suggestions? thanks

@tcurry48

I suggest starting a new thread and tagging me over and I can give my opinion. Don’t want to hijack this thread with your question. Just tag me with an @ then my name.

1 Like

@Ray4x
this is how you start a new thread?
so sativa to me is the blonde energetic “happy” high, like we used to have Acapulco gold back in the 60’s
now that we’re legal, I’d like to get some seeds of that type

@tcurry48

No not how you start a new topic haha.

Go back to the forum home page and in the top right you’ll see “+New Topic”

Click on that, name it and write a brief description. You will probably want to categorize it under beginner.

2 Likes

@Ray4x
hate to be a pain, but I’m not seeing the “+New Topic” and I’ve read some discussion to the point that a new user needs to show some replies, likes, some participation before the ability to start a new thread will be available- does this make sense?

1 Like

@tcurry48

Yup that makes total sense! My recommendation is tben to read some topics give some likes and you should get bumped up pretty quickly. Don’t think it took long for me.

Just tag me in whenever you are able (also by trying to not highjack this thread we’ve inadvertently highjacked this thread) :joy:

cool, thanks!

TC

Black Magic is not a special made new product just for mmj. It is rebranded Scotts peat moss. It is a soilless medium and needs additives for such. It says it can be used for hydro but not sure how.

I have heard good and bad about it but otherwise most common comment is bugs in it. It’s also not that much cheaper than FF.

1 Like

I used black gold alot and it is actually some pretty good soil for cannabis. Ive also used miracle gro and picked all of the fertilizer balls out. Took hours and my back was hurting but it worked great.

Newbie here that is just 5 weeks into their first ever grow. Not sure what others here think of Roots Organic Soil but my babies seem happy and healthy so far growing in it. I picked the Roots soil up for 19.99 per 1.5 cubic foot bag by ordering it from True Value Hardware and using their “ship to store” option since we have one only about 10 miles away. Sadly though I just tried to re-order and they have now shut down all ship to store orders due to the virus. Anyway, for future use this may be an option.

1 Like

I looked at the first post in this thread and saw it said “June 17” and thought, okay thread is only 3 days old…then after I replied I see further over to the side where it says “june 2017”…

like I said in my above post, I’m a newbie…lol

2 Likes

@Shleprock lol it happens. I go back to old threads all the time to beat old horses :horse:

How is your grow coming?

1 Like

It’s been an interesting trip…I think I’ll be harvesting the lone tent plant on Friday. Started with 4 bag seeds and ended up with the absolute runt of the litter being the only female except for the plant that the fan crushed…I moved that one outside over to a friends house right after that happened and sort of forgot abut it. She became a beast…lol…
I have a pair of 2 week old ak47 auto’s going right now that I started outdoors and I’ll be moving them into the tent once I harvest the bag seed plant. Too late in the season to finish the auto’s outside, but wanted to get a jump on getting them going while the tent was still occupied.

This is the plant that got all busted up when the fan fell on it at 4 weeks old. This picture is from around august 20th and she is flowing up a storm right now…

4 Likes

I know I’m way late to this party, but if this can help anyone else in the future…

Hubby was impatient for me to get our first grow going, so I germed 3 Gorilla Glue auto’s from ILGM then planted in a mix of Miracle Grow Organic garden soil and coco coir. I hand layered and mixed it into the pots, probably roughly about 60% coco, 40% Miracle Grow Organic.

Those plants went through hell, I did most everything wrong, and they never got fed beyond what was in the soil. Harvested 4.20 oz (not kidding) wet weight off the biggest one. It’s currently curing, just about an oz dry. We are sampling as I write this and feeling niiiiiiice (got lucky!). So, while it’s not the ideal, MGO will work if that’s what you’ve got, though I believe the coco coir probably helped to tone the MGO down and provided better oxygenation/space to the roots.

I’m on my 2nd grow now. Growing Purple Haze (Fem) from ILGM using FFOF, today starts week 4 of flowering and I’m trying so hard to do everything right. Honestly, I think the next grow I’m going back to the MGO/coco mix.

2 Likes

Holy shit. Did you dig a hole and fill it with good soil ? Or was it just in the ground ?

1 Like

That plant started in my tent in a 5 gallon bucket. When we moved it outside in June we just dug a 5 gallon bucket sized hole and planted the dirt ball from the bucket right in the ground. Poured some Dyna-gro fertizer on her every couple weeks and watered her straight from the garden hose if it hadn’t rained in a while…that was about all the care she got. The above picture was taken on August 25th and the picture on this post was from September 21st. I’m still kicking myself for having failed to snap another just before we took her down on October 10th…She yielded 10 ounces of damn decent bud, plus another 5 ounces of smaller loose bud and trim that was all run through my Levo 2 :smiley:

She was moved outside on June 19th, and this was taken on July 13th.

Genius, looks like less = more. From your description, it sounds like minimum effort turned into something special, really special. But just to b clear, you removed the bucket n put her mother earth?? That’s powerful stuff, very impressive…:joy::smiley::alien: