Best bang for you buck on lights?

Can anyone tell me where to buy an affordable good light for my grow tent? I would like to go with a high pressure sodium light!

@Jsha
Amazon has many great deals on lights
Also you can check out Walmart online
Both will ship to the house

Before committing to hps check out the CMH lights as well do some research on them

4 Likes

Do recognize that bulb lights look cheaper up front, but in the long run a very efficient LED package will be cheaper in the long run. Horticultural Lighting Group has some amazingly efficient boards and kits that you can create a DIY light for ~$500 for a 4x4 tent. Also HPS/MH, CMH lights WILL generate a lot more heat and you will have to put that heat somewhere.

4 Likes

I have a led 1200 light right now that i got off of amazon! But ive just seen some people say dont buy lights off of amazon! It seems to be working fine so far! Accept for the fact that all but one of my plants seem small. But i repotted them today in bigger pots and im hoping they were just working on there roots and that they take off now that they are in a larger container.

And i havent looked at Walmart! I will deinatly check it out!

it’s ok to buy the cmh or his lights off amazon
When people say don’t buy light from amazon they are referring to the cheap Chinese led fixtures which I have a few of and they work fine I only use them to veg my plants tho and flower under cmh myself

Many here have done DYI projects to get more power from the less most of the fixture on amazon will draw much less power then they are listed at and don’t supply near what they are rated for

3 Likes

I’m on my first grow and i started out using 2 Viparspectra 600 watt LED from Amazon. In short they failed to perform as advertised so i sent them back and purchased 600 watt cmh/hps. I was much more satisfied,the heat is an issue you can exhaust along with the smell. I use it to cover 4 plants in a 4x6x7 room. Im days within harvesting and besides a few blunders i made like watering with a high ph which was the most severe those lights penetrated all the way to the base of the plants sprouting flowers way under the canopy. It was the most affordable for me roughly 140 bucks. I liked it so well i bought another to use for veg. And as soon as you can afford it buy a backup light or bulbs because shit happens

1 Like

How big is the space you’re growing in?

2 Likes

Its a 5×5 tent.

1 Like

A good led light will cost quite a bit, probably $1300-$1500. We were just looking at a budget DIY led build for a 5x5 in another thread too, I think about $800.

Going hid probably air cooled 1000 watt hps or 630 cmh would be best single light options. Watt for watt the cmh is a better light. But 25 ft² is a lot for them. A light mover would help a little. If you go 1000 watt hps in a tent it will pretty much need to be air cooled without an air conditioned room. So I feel you’ll need more than just a light either way to do it well, the cmh is the more efficient option.

1 Like

Im really worried that the reason my plants are growing so slow is because the light that i have may not be strong enough. I loweree it some more yesterday and im really hoping that they have just been working on there root system and that they will take off at any time now. I have 1 out 6 thats doing alot better than the rest. Im going to give it a while longer. And what do you mean when you say diy lights? How hard are they to put together. And what website is a good website to order a light. Also 800 dollars is alot wouldnt i be better off finding one on ebay? And if i did go about it that way what kind of light/brand would i be looking for?

There are decent lights that go for sale on auction site, but most of them are same led lights you would buy on Amazon. There are tons of different diy lights you could build, some easy others little more difficult.

If you’re looking for a good led light, fluence bioengineering is very good. Also Very pricey, and probably not available on Ebay.

1 Like