Benefits of SCROG vs LST

On my bucket list is to build a scrog frame w/trellis and learn to use this method for max cola development. I love to LST and have been doing that on multiple plants with great success. I have also had great results with topping and FIMMing plus super cropping. Yeah I screwed that one up but some tape saved the day and all is fine now.

Potentially, I’ll build the SCROG frame for my small 2x2 tent which gives me close to 5’ of clearance after the fan, filter and light are hung. The reason I consider SCROG is to balance the canopy since I don’t have a super tall grow space and photo plants like Blue Dream and Maui Wowie are too tall to grow naturally.

My question is - Do I really need to SCROG if I am able to LST with topping and FIMMing? In a tight 2x2 grow space, I’ll have trouble managing the back side of the plant on a SCROG frame since I wont be able to spin her around. I also like to take my plants out of the tent to the porch and work on lollypop trimming and other defoliation techniques. With this being the case, it seems that a SCROG frame may be more of a hinderance than a help.

Has anyone else felt this way…and what did you do to resolve the limitations SCROG prevents…other than NOT SCROG of course!!

3 Likes

I don’t think you NEED one. It helps to keep in order but you have to LST to start anyway. You can just as well tie down and train in the same fashion.

2 Likes

Have a look at @Myfriendis410 's and @merlin44’s setups, respectively:

You can leave the plant in the screen and still move the whole thing around to trim, feed, whatever. Genius! And these guys both grow incredible buds!

7 Likes

Those are bad arse!

2 Likes

Get some copper wire about 1mm diameter and wrap around the stems, you can then shape the stems any way you want and there is nothing to get hung up on so you can move the plants outdoors at will.

1 Like

Here is mine. But I definitely like the individual screens. My whole set up is on wheels so I can easily move it to get to the back side.

image image

6 Likes

@elheffe702’s post showing how some of our members build the frame on casters gave me an idea. I remember Mom had a spice rack on a turntable in the cabinet so I’m thinking this concept may be neat for my needs. I don’t have unlimited height in a 5’ tall space, so I googled Lazy Susan rotating turntable and a number of selections in bamboo, wood and plastic popped up. I use large plant saucers under fabric pots, and I noted some of these turntables have diameters up to 21" with only 1" of height used. Got me thinking…

2 Likes

This is an innovative way to shape a plant. Do you happen to have a pic to show how many turns to wrap the coil of wire?

1 Like

Thanks for the shout out @elheffe702 but there’s no wrong way to do a screen. General advice is to only do one plant, let the plant understory get to 12" minimum for watering access. As to increased yield I’ve not found that to be the case. It DOES support the plant in late flower and keeps the branches from collapsing (a good problem).

4 Likes

Sorry no pic, just a couple of turns either side of where you want the bend to be should suffice.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 old post I know, but that net frame you built looks like it would would perfectly in my space. Is there any chance you have a few pics of it without a plant in it? It’ll help me brainstorm to build one. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry; none without a plant in it. @Not2SureYet has my old SCROGS and might be able to take a couple of pictures. I haven’t built any yet in the new house.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 that’s perfect!! My dimensions will probably differ some but the pics you posted show me everything I need. Thanks!!! Now I just have to build it and figure out how to grow happy plants to fill it

1 Like

I suggest one plant per screen, use schedule 20 for the lower assembly, schedule 40 on the top part: that way the uprights ‘nest’ inside the thinner PVC tubing and you can sink a screw in each leg. This makes it easy to raise and lower screen. I also tiewrap the frame to the fabric pot so it’s all one unit: you can carry it around by the screen and move it around or rotate in grow space etc.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 Great stuff, that’ll be really helpful. Im going to be dropping some new seeds within the next week. This will be my second indoor grow. The 1st was and is a handful but I’ve learned tons and I’m fully committed to progressing to the next levels. In your opinion should I move forward with the screen thing or just stick with basic LST technique until I get a few solid grows under my belt?

1 Like

I vote LST even though I almost only grow in scrogs now. If this is your first plant. You will have a lot more fun growing it naturally I think. Plus. Once you start using scrogs. It is hard to go back to regular I think. You can control the height a little better in a scrog.

1 Like

As far as yields go it’s debatable. But I like SCROGS for the support on the plant late in flower, flattening the top and turning a round footprint into a rectangle to match lights makes sense.

And, like @Not2SureYet pointed out; if you have height restrictions a SCROG will solve that.

It gets way more ‘Zen’ and eventually you just cruise-control haha.

1 Like

I forgot the main thing for me. I can take a big plant and fit it into a space I choose for the most part. Doing lst. I have to spread the plants more. I hope we are not confusing you now.

@Myfriendis410 @Not2SureYet
Good points by both of you, thanks. I think I’ll build it and have it on hand. I thinking Ill let the plants help me decide once they get up and running. I’m really looking forward to a fresh start armed with what I’ve been learning over the last 3 months.

2 Likes