Being discreet with an outdoor grow

For those of you who grow discreetly outdoors, are you concerned with someone seeing the plants, smelling the plants or both?
My sister lives in a residential neighborhood in FL, has 6’ solid fencing around her back yard and can camouflage her plants amongst their garden. Is the smell strong enough while growing outdoors that the neighbors would pick up on it?

1 Like

When they flower, They probably will be smelt from quite a ways away. I could always tell when I was getting close to my guerilla grows. :v:

2 Likes

There are plants that don’t smell bad and are not over powering. I don’t know which ones but you might want to goggle it. I live in Michigan so to be legal we need to have a top on outside grows. Can drive around and see who is growing because of the security measures. This attracts the rippers

1 Like

So a couple of plants would likely be detected by neighbors then.

1 Like

That depends on how heavily budded they get. My nose sucks in my older age but, I can smell refer from a mile away

1 Like

likely so if they are close unfortunately… i do some outdoor as well and there are times you can def smell them around the area…

Oh yeah, they’re packed in with neighbors up their ass. I couldn’t handle it.

Can depend on the strain too. I’ve had plants that stunk up my house even in late veg. The plants I have now are 3 weeks since the flip and the only time I can smell them is when I open the door first thing in the morning.

1 Like

sounds pretty risky… i couldnt either…left that city life loong ago… they would be better off staying indoors there for sure…

1 Like

The way I read the law, it just can’t be visible from the public eye. Am I wrong @Rayi?

@AfgVet
You will most likely smell it if your downwind.

2 Likes

Yeah unfortunately they will smell, but I’ve always done heavy smelling spices and herbs around them not just for camouflage but sent as well.
I live in Florida myself but not residential and my neighbors all smoke but I have cams so they know not to mess with them.
You know shoot first ask questions later… jk jk

3 Likes

Yes, they will be easily detected by anyone familiar with the smell of cannabis, especially on hot days during flower.

One can plant other things to try and mask the smell, but cool neighbors would help even more.

3 Likes

going over and talking to your neighbours “before” you do anything is the way I have had success in the past…I asked two doors up, two doors down and behind last time…everyone said no dramas…one or two plants. i stuck to 2, yeah in the end you could smell them a couple of hundred meters down the street on a summers day if the wind blew in the right direction… but if you told your neighbours, you cant pinpoint where it is… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: depends on what you grow and how big yes but it will always stink at some point and you will walk home doing this… :grimacing: :grimacing:

3 Likes

My 2 plant outdoor grow “stinks up the whole street”… thats a quote from a neighbor.

4 Likes

lol, its funny because the neighbours start getting more paranoid then you… because they feel in on it… :grin:

and train them to be non xmas tree shape and people don’t even see it…

3 Likes

Your best bet would be to look into strains known to be low scent. Then try them indoor and see what you come up with.

2 Likes

yeah BTW, I have had really good luck with neighbours it could just as easily go the other way… :grin:

3 Likes

I’d say! We moved recently, and I’m not really sure about most of them here. Old place I wasn’t worried about neighbors but we didn’t have the space. Blah…

2 Likes

If your in Michigan it has to be locked up with a top on it. I can drive around and tell who is growing by a top on the stokade fence. The law is really vague. It’s written that way so if the cops want to harass you they can. Saw a interview with the head of the state police right after the laws were written. He was asked about growing outside legally. He said you can’t. Don’t know if he changed his mind but ever law can be interpreted many different ways

3 Likes

I’ll re-examine the law.

1 Like