Beginners Unluck

Hello, this is my first time on a growers forum and my 2nd grow. 1st harvest ruined to the tune of no taste whatsoever after smelling sensational on the plant. My thoughts are: 1) Harvest too early, although Trichromes were about 30% amber or 2) dried too fast.

That being said, I took a clipping off the first plant and she is so close to Harvest but I don’t want to screw up again.

Through you guys and tons of reading I have the basics down. I am going to dry whole plant this time vs cutting off limbs. Dry closet stays 70 degrees and 48-55%RH. I exposed to light several times in first 3 days of dry, won’t be doing that again. And I believe I’m brown bagging after several days of drying whole plant vs mason jars and Bovida packs.

Would like advice on , when to harvest. This one seems very ready. All big fan leaves have yellowed and fallen off or taken off. Water leaves are turning purple. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thx everyone

4 Likes

She looks real close, if you post just one pic in a post we can enlarge it! What type of nutrients? Sulfur is a big factor in bringing out smell and taste! Drying should take at least 6-8 days! I have used jars for quite awhile and never had a problem! Total maturity will make a difference also.Welcome to ILGM forum Man!

4 Likes

Welcome!

I’m definitely anyone to ask as I’m on my second grow as well. I used this:

. Yes, if we had a closer up pic maybe we could look at the trichomes.

And I from what I understand, flushing before harvest is supposed to help with the taste but the drying and, especially, the curing process is important to the taste. I dried for 7 days then did the curing in jars… my humidity here is perfect for growing so I didn’t need the Boveda packs. I know for sure the taste gets better the longer they cure.

4 Likes

Thx Holmes, Honestly using a little something I found called Flower Fuel 1-34-32. Have not fed her in 2 weeks and have been flushing with straight water now since last feeding. I did not flush my 1st perhaps contributing to the “hayish” minty taste. But the 1st plant flowers were very airy.

1 Like

Thank you Caligurl. Trichromes are 20% amber( I love couch lock) Jewlers Loup only nothing I can photo but here goes

3 Likes

I don’t see too many ambers in there. The sugar leaves will always have ambers before the buds so make sure you are looking at the buds themselves. Maybe @Myfriendis410 or @kabongster would have better eyes than me since I still get confused when looking at the trichomes LOL! That is a beautiful bud my friend!

Curious if you’ve been using that Flower Fuel the entire grow? It’s really low in N…

2 Likes

No mam, switched from 18-18-21 at onset of flower. Wish I could get a better Tri photo. Angling around the cone shows varying degree of color from Milky to amber. Thanks so much for your input.

3 Likes

PS: Strain is Mobb Boss, we found a seed in a sack. We have had 3 plants off one seed. Trying to get this little girl back in veg, hard to do outdoor this time of year. Thanks so much for the compliment.

1 Like

knock off a bud dry it smoke it like it chop it . my scientific approach lol

3 Likes

Never tried it, seen it around though. If you try to cure with very many leaves still on it is one thing that will make it taste like hay, or if it is not mature enough. Good lighting is a must for really dense buds.

3 Likes

Much appreciated Sir. Last dry I cut off limbs and hung for 8 days. Buds were very airy and maybe a little crunchy after the 8 days I dry trimmed and jarred. Going to hang whole plant this round to slow the dry. Hopefully I get it "figured out " this round. Thanks again for the feedback.

2 Likes

It’s hard to tell from the pics but you can see them so go with your gut :slight_smile:

1 Like

what soil was the plant grown in, what brand nutrients, what strain/type plant is it?

just curious, the plant looks a little more leafy, not as packed with calyces.
that’s where the flavor is, not in the leaves so much but in the flowers.

2 Likes

Kabongster, this is supposed to be Mobb Boss.

Wasn’t a planned grow in any way, we found a seed in a bud and stuck in some potting soil as we were growing tomatoes/peppers and cucumbers. A very nice looking plant grew and budded, having no clue what we were doing we used our garden Miracle-Gro 18-28-21 lol.

However, this sparked my interest in cutting cost, plus it was mesmerizing to watch it all unfold. So we took a clipping put a dab of honey on the cut and stuck it in :

Same potting soil (its what we had handy)
Peat Moss/Worm Castings/Bone Meal/Perlite/Pea gravel

It took root

Fed same 18-18-21 during veg and switched to Flower Power 1-34-32 at onset of flower

Have read tons since starting the first and know a lot more but still hungry to learn.

I can see Calyces on underside of flower but not packed as you stated. I didn’t know anything about calyx till recently so forgive my ignorance.

This would also answer why there are fewer pistils than I thought there would be.

Appreciate your knowledge and any input !
Photo of 1st plant cola and 2nd plant at pre flower for your viewing, Was strong just had zero taste!

20200903_124827|236x500

20200827_184747|236x500

3 Likes

@GrnThmbNoob if you put an @ in front of person you want to respond they will get a notice, Unless they have topic set to watching they will not see it otherwise. Nice looking ladies.

3 Likes

Lol Thx brother

1 Like

@Holmes @Caligurl @kabongster . Wanted to thank you each for welcoming me and overlooking the fact that I didn’t even know how to respond to a comment lol. Hope you all are doing alright and growing some good. Learned a little from the first go round and from other sources. Appreciate ya’ll being inviting.

Apparently my wife is the seed whisperer. We have found more seeds usually a single over the last few months and I finally started buying a few.

I wanted to share a pic of my near harvest plant. Again, a bag seed. Collins Ave, it was a very pleasant smoke/taste etc. She been a phenomenal plant, cut a couple clones and a friend has a seed from his NOT huge buds but nice and dense. I couldn’t find any grow info on Collins Ave, I think it may be auto. If you get a chance to try it, its a very very decent smoke. Not phenomenal but damn decent. Anyway sorry for rambling. Be well and thanks again.

5 Likes

Hell yeah, that is a frosty nug right there! Nice job. Hope to see you around more!

3 Likes

Ooo, that’s a pretty plant!

2 Likes

If you flushed the plants the last week before harvest That taste is from drying to fast the plant needs time to convert the remaining Chlorophyl in the leaves and buds to sugars which get rid of the bright green colour and that medicine soapy taste . then you have to put them in jars or whatever you plan to use to cure before they are too dry so they can cure properly. it takes a bit of practice I’m still trying to perfect my technique. The first two weeks you have to burp the jars daily turning the buds around gently leaving open for a few minutes then lids back on also sunlight is the enemy of THC after harvest so keep in the dark to preserve quality the taste will develop as it cures that’s when all the Turpines come to life. In a nutshell happy growing

3 Likes