Beginner topping/fim mistake

@HappyHydroGrower holy hell how many plants was that?!? That’s a thing of beauty lol. I’m thinking I’m going to have to flip mine to flower a little early due to my tent size constraints but I’m just trying to get to the end at this stage lol.

1 Like

It was just one WW reg seed on a 28” x 28” scrog. I got a little over 9 oz from her.

6 Likes

Im definitely not at that level of growing skill yet but that is amazing. My girls are still young but only about 12-15 flower sites so far.

1 Like

Hey bud, that was my first grow ever! If I can do it anybody can thanks to all the good help on here!

3 Likes

@HappyHydroGrower just out of curiosity what size tent were you growing in? I’m in a 3x3 for now and until I can get a second set up going I will need to flower in it as well which is why I say I may need to flower early. I’ve looked into scrog a bit and I do have the net, I’m just not sure how and when to do it lol.

I grew in a 32 x 32 x 63.
I’ve sense built a 10’ x 5’ room which I’m about to get rolling with a purple haze and a purple kush in rdwc.

@HappyHydroGrower damn that’s basically what I’m in. I’m thinking I need to research scrog again. I have 4 going at the moment but I did that because I figured I’d kill one before this point and I just wasn’t sure how many I should do etc. @dbrn32 has me almost convinced I need to think about cloning instead of more plants etc. I have to get the nutes dialed in a bit. I’ve been dealing with some yellowing and brown spots but I’m trying to get that sorted.

2 Likes

I’ve never cloned simply because I’m not set up for it but if you can, I’d go for it.
Db knows a heck of a lot more than I do. I did two SD’s last grow and got almost the same amount. You can do as many as you like and come out with only so much in that size tent. Optimally speaking… (everything spot on.) I’m not there yet.
Your at the right place to do it if you listen to the pros like @dbrn32 and many other.
Main thing you’ll learn is you have to make what works for you, work.

2 Likes

You can run more plants, just more conducive to grow them from clones than seed.

2 Likes

Thats pretty funny! Looks like a carpet!

2 Likes

I haven’t had any issues topping around day 20 as long as the plant is healthy. I’m talking autoflowers.

@HappyHydroGrower a question please. In evaluating your overall results, weight, bud quality etc. Do you feel less would have been more? You achieved the objective of lots of flowers, what you grew your first time out is impressive. If you did it again, would you retain the high number of flowers, or would you remove 10% 20% of the bud sites with the goal of the remaining ones being larger and heavier? I ask because I am getting close to the point in time where I have to decide on exactly that. I am unable upload to this thread. I posted these pictures yesterday to Bud Site Removal - How low do you go?

Feedback will be appreciated

3 Likes

Scrog by far. IMHO, You get more bud sites. It might take a little longer because you have to fill the screen, but again, you get more bud sites than if you just let it grow.You can also grow tall buds using a scrog. Scrog is a little more work I think, say’s the man that’s never grown one w/o a scrog…lol
Honestly, I would ask the more experience growers like @dbrn32 @MattyBear @Myfriendis410 @kettle @Covertgrower
I’m just really a work in progress…lol

2 Likes

I built a sliding PVC scrog pipe frame into my tent so I am all set if I decide to go that route. I have received guidance and input from several of the ones you tagged. I was just curious, based on your grow, if you would have reduced the number of canopy level bud sites.

You can’t go overboard topping a plant that is trained into an indoor SCROG. Allowing side nodes to develop instead. If not careful, can develop a canopy the root mass can’t support and the whole plant crashes. You end up with loose, airy larf.

I’m not convinced yet that a properly done supercropped plant won’t do as well as a SCROG: I have not seen a difference yet. That said: I love doing a SCROG, mainly because I like futzing with my plants.

Pretty plants: very nice so far.

Here’s my journal: post number 140 or so shows my SCROG design.

3 Likes

@HappyHydroGrower that is amazing to this beginner. I gotta start topping mine and spreading them out. Holy smokes (so to speak). I’m guessing you are, perhaps, an avid gardener? How long was your grow cycle from planting to harvesting, if you don’t mind.

1 Like

I’m still learning. That plant took six months start to finish. That was my first of three grows. Now growing in rdwc on my forth grow.

I think I may have topped once really can’t remember.
You just have to work the plant out to the edges as it grows.

Thanks for the compliment. :sunglasses:

An awesome project. And what was the clean yield, please?

1 Like

Ended up with 9oz., 20g., and 131g of shake?

More than 13 oz total yield. Now that’s a worthwhile exercise, eh? That would even hold my wife for a while. Well done! Can’t wait to see your fourth grow. I"m not nearly as, uhm, adventurous on this first grow of mine. But I do have plants all over the place, (in the ground, in pots outdoors, in my tent and in different soil combinations) all the same seed that a very talented friend has bred with high CBD and moderate to high THC. After some sampling I found it is truly therapeutic for my inflammatory arthritic issues. (And I’m in a legal to grow state.) All those started off in the tent. Plus three that started as seeds in the ground. It is so interesting.

Cheers

1 Like