Beginner topping/fim mistake

Don’t really have a question here, mostly just posting for the laughs or perhaps to help someone else on their first top/fim adventure. The idea was to top them but I made a mistake lol. As the plant grew out I noticed lots of mutilated leaves and the growth after was also rough looking but it appears the newest will be good old normal leaves. I don’t know what kind of overall damage I did but she seems to be pushing thru despite my blunder.

not sure if it’s clear but the botched topping led to about 4 sets of misshapen leaves. Learning as I grow lol, but the other two I topped look like champs

1 Like

You probably “fimed”. No big deal

While topping can give you more bud sites, it will also stun your plant for 7-10 days. I’ve read you can also just “bend” the top to promote lower sites increased growth. This is what I’m currently doing instead of cutting.

1 Like

That’s normal for a fim. You basically cut the tips off those leaves in their infancy so when they grow out they are tipless.

3 Likes

Looks to me like a head of lettuce trying to grow out of there. Good job! :yum:

3 Likes

Lol, sure does. But they grow out of it after a while

4 Likes

Sweet! :wink: :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Drinkslinger you can absolutely bend to get light to lower growth. I have been doing that as well to try and even some of mine out. It may not be the ideal way, but it definitely works.

I played a game with my first grow and called it “Who can count the Bud sites”…lol

That was a combination of topping and fim’ing

5 Likes

@HappyHydroGrower holy hell how many plants was that?!? That’s a thing of beauty lol. I’m thinking I’m going to have to flip mine to flower a little early due to my tent size constraints but I’m just trying to get to the end at this stage lol.

1 Like

It was just one WW reg seed on a 28” x 28” scrog. I got a little over 9 oz from her.

6 Likes

Im definitely not at that level of growing skill yet but that is amazing. My girls are still young but only about 12-15 flower sites so far.

1 Like

Hey bud, that was my first grow ever! If I can do it anybody can thanks to all the good help on here!

3 Likes

@HappyHydroGrower just out of curiosity what size tent were you growing in? I’m in a 3x3 for now and until I can get a second set up going I will need to flower in it as well which is why I say I may need to flower early. I’ve looked into scrog a bit and I do have the net, I’m just not sure how and when to do it lol.

I grew in a 32 x 32 x 63.
I’ve sense built a 10’ x 5’ room which I’m about to get rolling with a purple haze and a purple kush in rdwc.

@HappyHydroGrower damn that’s basically what I’m in. I’m thinking I need to research scrog again. I have 4 going at the moment but I did that because I figured I’d kill one before this point and I just wasn’t sure how many I should do etc. @dbrn32 has me almost convinced I need to think about cloning instead of more plants etc. I have to get the nutes dialed in a bit. I’ve been dealing with some yellowing and brown spots but I’m trying to get that sorted.

2 Likes

I’ve never cloned simply because I’m not set up for it but if you can, I’d go for it.
Db knows a heck of a lot more than I do. I did two SD’s last grow and got almost the same amount. You can do as many as you like and come out with only so much in that size tent. Optimally speaking… (everything spot on.) I’m not there yet.
Your at the right place to do it if you listen to the pros like @dbrn32 and many other.
Main thing you’ll learn is you have to make what works for you, work.

2 Likes

You can run more plants, just more conducive to grow them from clones than seed.

2 Likes

Thats pretty funny! Looks like a carpet!

2 Likes

I haven’t had any issues topping around day 20 as long as the plant is healthy. I’m talking autoflowers.

@HappyHydroGrower a question please. In evaluating your overall results, weight, bud quality etc. Do you feel less would have been more? You achieved the objective of lots of flowers, what you grew your first time out is impressive. If you did it again, would you retain the high number of flowers, or would you remove 10% 20% of the bud sites with the goal of the remaining ones being larger and heavier? I ask because I am getting close to the point in time where I have to decide on exactly that. I am unable upload to this thread. I posted these pictures yesterday to Bud Site Removal - How low do you go?

Feedback will be appreciated

3 Likes