Beginner Prep List/Advice

a fire extinguisher and a smoke detector. ph up and down and some pippets. I use hydrogen peroxide for cleaning up around my plants and in the tent. It gets the job done and isn’t as unforgiving as bleach. it just turns to water and evaporates. get some mykos for the roots.
Depending on your location. yellow sticky traps. the list kinda goes on.

I had this cute list when I started my grow which at the time I thought was a lot. :rofl:
that ph meter is really important. I would get the apera ph 20 or 60 or a blue lab. the cheapos I hear arent great.
I would get some pot elevators but dont buy them from amazon. they shouldnt cost more than a couple dollars.

1 Like

first, buy a couple of really big shelves, you are going to want them to store everything on that you buy. you will buy so much stuff that you just have to have, want to try or got as samples. the more you grow the better you want to be and you will always go better bigger for the NEXT grow!

1 Like

Lol personal experience? I have them as well, but the fire extinguisher is in my car though. :v::v:

2 Likes

no. but there is a lot going on in these tents well at least I have a lot going on. 7 drivers. 4 timers, 3 ac infintiy fans going soon to be a 4th. 8 small fans, a floor fan…you get the picture. better safe than sorry my pops the fire captain used to say.

1 Like

f i had to tell another beginner about all the little silly stuff they need to keep on hand to make this journey here would be my shopping list: medicine syringe. solo cups, clear cups, spray bottle, sharpie marker, distilled water, peroxide, alcohol, small scissors, yellow sticky cards, mosquito bits, capt jacks dead bug killer, medical tape, honey or aloe, pipe cleaners, toothpicks, fabric pots, read read read! lights are ,most important after knowledge. read about others mistakes. read all the whats wrong with my plant questions. then go out and make your own mistakes and figure out what works for you. yay weed!

2 Likes

i know right :rofl: so… much… stuff. it never ends.

1 Like

Hate to poo poo the fabric pot thing because they are pretty good but… if you use plastic traditional nursery pots, when it comes to transplanting they cant be beat! Trying to free a plant from a clothe pot is second to pulling teeth from a rhino. Not so bad when they are dead !

1 Like

you don’t really need to or want to transplant autos, just put them straight in 5 gal pots, if growing photos all but the last pot they are going to end up in need to be plastic, i go for solo cups to 3 gal plastic pot to 7 gal fabric pot

All good advice… obviously the biggest beginner’s expense will be the light… in my opinion, I would put the light above all else on the ( dont be a cheap ass ) list!
Before you buy a light, which it sounds as though you already did, get advice on the right light. The home growers are typically buying cheap assed blurple or Amazon products and ending up with buyers remorse.
HLG has the common marjet cornered!
Then you will need to buy the right gear and accessories for the style of grow you intend on doing.
My sincere advice here would be to do what others do because it can be taught and diagnosed easily.
Obviously, the first question one should ask themselves. How much dope do I need to grow?

3 Likes

You should ask what lighting I should purchase! Like an HLG light and not the one you bought.

1 Like

oh and the first thing you need before you start is a checkbook because once you start you will be so fascinated in it that you get addicted, that you start planning your next grow before you get growing good with your first lol

1 Like

i agree, hlg lights are it, they do the job, the light he has will get him through veggy and by then he will be hooked and want a good light lol

1 Like

i ask my self that and the answer was pounds even though an oz would last me a month/month and a half lol

3 Likes

I smoke less than an ounce a month… I think I got it covered? :laughing:

1 Like

wish i could grow outside but illegal here

I actually did ask that question on another forum, and the majority of users recommended the LED lights. Idk why, maybe because of my budget, but I went with what everyone was saying. What I should’ve asked is, “what size light do I get?” Lol

Update: I went ahead and ordered a 6 inch fan and carbon filter. I couldn’t afford another light, so hopefully the one I have will do for now, or at least until I have money to buy the right one. Thank you to everyone who gave me tips and advice. While I’ll try to follow everyone’s advice, I can only do what my budget will allow, but I’ll be keeping all of the tips and advice I’ve received in mind for when I DO have the budget to upgrade. Thanks again y’all!

2 Likes

Yes! How much light do I need for decent flower in whatever sized space I have? That seems like a reasonable question. Dont be too terribly upset by this realization because you are definitely not alone here. I would say the vast majority of people new to this forum start out trying to get the best light forbtheir budget they can. Unfortunately, cannabis is a light hog, and really likes strong light in the right color spectrum.
A TS 1000 is ok for veg and seedlings but it will fall short in flower. You will not be getting that pound a light kinda canopy.

1 Like

Not true I have fabric transplant pots and they work amazing

1 Like

i want to add buy every dang ball canning jar you can find. who knew they would be this hard to get

1 Like